[Peace] P4P - witnesses needed!

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 15 13:48:02 CST 2004

Help!

I just got a very disturbing call from Lt Gallo of the
Champaign Police Dept regarding the young Naval
Reservist who drove up on the sidewalk in December
during a “Prospect for Peace” demonstration.  I had
called Lt Gallo because the officer to whom I reported
the incident at the time did not file any report.
After initial indications that this could be taken
care of, now the police want to do nothing,
essentially, and call it a “learning experience” …
unless …

You may recall that the officer had ordered Dave Green
to stop his legal distribution of leaflets, even
though Dave had been following the safety guidelines
we have with the police.  The officer claimed to know
nothing of these guidelines or the Champaign City
ordinance that specifies that we can do it, even if
the US Constitution did not.  This officer yelled at
Dave, took his name, and when I approached to explain,
threatened to arrest me on an unspecified felony
charge and called for backup for “multiple arrests.”
He also insisted that we move signs we had stuck in
the ground on public property, because Tires Plus
management insisted it was their property.  There were
utility poles, road signs and other public fixtures on
the same turf as our signs, but the officer insisted
that it was private property but that he was not
taking sides.

I called to check on the status and found that the
officer had reported nothing.  I went down to the
station to file a report and was discouraged from
doing so by officers present then, who said Lt Gallo
was taking care of it.  At an AWARE meeting, I was
asked to file the report anyway.  Before I could do
so, however, Lt Gallo called me and told me that
filing a report would mean another officer (presumably
the one who would take my report) would be assigned to
the case, but that he preferred the original officer
who should have pursued it to do so.

Lt Gallo had investigated and finally let me know a
week or two ago that the officer had spoken with the
driver’s father, to whom the vehicle apparently
belongs, and told him that we said we would not press
charges if he would deal with the matter
“appropriately”.  At that time we were not even aware
that the father would be involved.  I may have told
the officer that we were not interested in sending the
guy to jail as long as he was made to understand the
seriousness of the matter and that he could not do it
again.  I did not tell him that I would not press
charges, and I told Lt Gallo as much.  Lt Gallo had
asked me what I wanted done, saying I would need to be
the “complainant” if they were to pursue the matter.
I had told him I was willing to testify in court if
necessary, but something must be done.  Lt Gallo told
me they could issue a $75 citation for leaving the
road -- not reckless driving and not vehicular
assault.  I had agreed, with some misgivings.

I was and am concerned about our safety out on
Prospect, and that of other protesters in the future,
if this guy and his buddies start telling others that
they can swerve at us, even up onto the sidewalk
within a few feet of where we stand, and the
consequences will be no more severe than a good
talking to from dear ole dad.

Now Lt Gallo says the officer insists I made it clear
to him I would not press charges, and after
consultation with his superior, Lt Gallo has asked
that I reconsider.  He added that if the case went to
court I might be asked to identify the driver -- which
I had already admitted to him I could not (I was
focused on getting the license plate and not getting
run over).  I got a good look at the guy in the
passenger’s side, but not the driver.

Is there anybody who got a look at the driver’s face
and who could testify in court?

Please let me know if you can!
Ricky
328-3037