[Peace] Hiroshima Day Vigil

Charlotte Green chgreen48 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 13 11:40:04 CDT 2004

The Urbana-Champaign Friends will hold a Hiroshima Day Vigil on Friday, August 6, noon- 1 PM in front of the Alma Mater on Green St.  We will be making signs for the vigil this Friday, July 16 at 7 PM at Jay Mittenthal's house.  Please come and join in the fun!  Also, we are looking for volunteers to make a flyer to hand out to passers-by.

The purpose of the vigil is to commemorate the anniversary of the U.S. dropping an atomic bomb on Hiroshima and to draw attention to the dangers of nuclear weapons and our government's continuing reliance on them.  The Bush administration's nuclear policy includes the development of new nuclear weapons capabilities, the ability to rapidly resume full-scale nuclear weapons testing, and a request for $10 billion to deploy an untested and unworkable missile defense system.  The following websites give more detailed information: 1) Union of Concerned Scientists: www.ucsusa.org/global_security/armsnet/page.cfm?pageId=1409.