[Peace] need help getting endorsements for DN! on UPTV

Randall Cotton recotton at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 30 23:10:59 CDT 2004

Hi,

As suggested at the last AWARE meeting, I'm renewing my request for help in
getting organizational endorsements in favor of broadcasting Democracy Now!
on Urbana Public Television (UPTV), cable channel 6 in Urbana, Champaign,
Savoy, Bondville, Homer, Ogden, Philo and Sidney. This would also entail
acquiring UPTV broadcast rights for all the other programming available on
Free Speech TV.

Again, the reason these endorsements are necessary is that a strong showing
of community support will be essential in overcoming the obstruction,
resistance and pressure being personally applied by the mayor of Urbana,
Todd Satterthwaite, in opposition to this project.

I now have endorsements from the WEFT Board of Directors, Channing-Murray
Foundation and the IMC.

Here is a list of organizations that I currently think would be worthwhile
contacting, roughly in order of importance/urgency: Some of these
institutions only meet monthly, so it's urgent to get going on these as soon
as possible as the next UPTV Commission meeting, when this issue will likely
be decided, is September 13th (noon at the Urbana City Council Chambers -
mark your calendars now to attend in person =8-).

I have contact leads  for some of these organizations and a few ideas on how
to approach them. Of course, I'll assist in whatever way I can.

Please let me know if you'd like to help by contacting one of these
organizations and shepherding a proposal through whatever the appropriate
process is for that group (especially if you're somehow affiliated or
connected with one of them =8-)

Also, let me know if you have any ideas on other organizations that might be
in favor of an endorsement.

Thanks

University YMCA
NOW
Champaign County Health Care Consumers
Planned Parenthood
Graduate Employees Organization (GEO)
AFL-CIO
IDF (Illinois Disciples Foundation) and/or PRC (Progressive Resource/Action
Cooperative)
McKinley Foundation
Wesley Foundation
CIMIC (Central Illinois Mosque and Islamic Center)
85% coalition
Student Peace Action
Muslim Students Association
Prairie Greens