[Peace] Getting news coverage of Gill v. Johnson debate

Kranich, Kimberlie Kranich at WILL.uiuc.edu
Mon Jun 7 09:46:28 CDT 2004

Rich, et al,

It shouldn't be a big deal to get the local press to cover a debate between
Johnson and Gill.

Did Johnson say yes? That seems to me to be the larger question.  The press
will come if there is a public debate between them.

It is important as activists that we develop a relationship with the local
press. We need to know who the reporters are and which beats they cover and
who the editors are who assign the stories.
Emailing reporters and editors about the good and not-so-good things they do
makes a difference.

Here is just one example. At a public forum on censorship at the Champaign
Library, I asked John Foreman, publisher of the News Gazette, why we have
never seen a story in the NG about Iraqi civilian casualties.  His answer is
not worth repeating here, but one week after my public question and private
follow-up conversation with Foreman, the News Gazette ran an AP story on
Iraqi causalities.  I made a difference.

If this is a real debate and not a media stunt ("if it only serve to help
Gill's name recognition" sounds like a media stunt to me so I suggest
avoiding language like this), then I believe the News Gazette will cover it.
Such a debate is absolutely newsworthy.

For this story, approach and/or send a press release about the debate to:

Mike Howie, city editor, at the News Gazette.  His email address is:
mhowie at news-gazette.com

WILL AM-580's news director is Tom Rogers.  tgrogers at uiuc.edu

For the local TV stations, email a press release and then fax one as well
to:

news at wcia.com
news at wicd15.com

Call for the TV station's fax numbers as I don't have those numbers handy.

For the DI, send a press release to: news at dailyillini.com

I've always had success getting coverage in the News Gazette and on TV for
the local fights I am engaged in.

Getting people to the debate is not something the media should be relied on
to do.  That takes grassroots effort and outreach.

Kimberlie