[Peace] AWARE Minutes 6/13/04

Gabriel Stanton ggstanto at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 15 02:50:55 CDT 2004

Facilator: Durl Kruse
Time Keeper:  Randall Cotton

Thoughts First Words that come to mind when thinking of Reagan e.g. Tens of
Thousands dead in Central America, Trees Pollute, Ketchup is a Vegetable, I
don't recall

News of the Week: Carl Estabrook
Some topics:  CIA run secret prisons around the world. 50 Airstrikes on
Iraqi military leaders all were unsucessful and may have kiled innocent
people.
UN Secretary Kofi Anan said that Developing Nations have been falling behind
since 1964
New President of Iraq was a former operative of the CIA.

Working Groups:

Prospect for Peace-Next protest will be Saturday July 3rd in front of Red
Lobster because there is construction on the sidewalk where we used to
stand. Feel Free to make signs or bring them with you.
Many felt the protest would be small as many are planning on  participating
or helping with the 4th of July Parade (with the Theme of Another World is
possible)

Legal Committee_Al Kagan has approached an attorney Bob Finch who agreed to
help us request a meeting with the police department  about security issues
out at Prospect Avenue.

4th of July plans- 6-8 people needed to pull float. Pillowcases needed and
help building float. Email rick Baldwin at baldwinricky at yahoo.com.

Meeting with Timothy Johnson; No reply from him about setting up a town
meeting or agreeing to debate other candidates such as David Gill. More to
come; working group leader(Matt) is still on vacation.

Tabling Farmer's Market-Literature not distributed  very well but pins,
banners and bumper s
tickers are sure  selling well.

Jan Kruse has been passing around a petition to bring the Boondocks back to
the Champaign County News Gazette.  Republican County clerk Mark Shellden
along with 44 others. The Executive producer called it too critical  of the
President. But we believe that removing the comiic is against the people's
wis going agains f

Tast of Champaign- More Tabling please sign up. next week to sit at the
AWARE table. The event is from the 25th th-27th of June

WILL commentaries-The people at Will have a new policy ; commentary must
adress issues of local concerns

Democracy Now/ UPTV - WILL wants to decide whether it can sponsor really
independent news media
Randall will continue to negotiate with them about that.

Door to Door Canvasing supporting voting/ independent media. No new info

New Ideas:

500 Deception dollars ordered for 4th of July Parade/later distribution

CCHCC AWARDS dinner -on Agenda for next week

Fahrenheit 911 coming in a couple of weeks. Good way to draw attention to
AWARE's efforts to promote Peace. Perhaps we could give away tickets at our
table and or go to the movie as a group. Owner of the theater very
openminded and will probably allow us to table at Boardman's art theater.

Rich- David Gill is a progressive candidate (Anti-war, Pro Universal Health
)running against Tim Johnson. Mixed views about whether to openly support
David Gill. Would it adversely effect our image or his for that matter.
Others argued that we should tactically wait to support him until after we
have gotten a no from Tim Johnson about a debate and a  meeting about why he
voted to go to war. Others sugessted that supporting David Gill was a long
shot anyway

Upcoming Events

Anti Chief Rally on Tuesday the 16th of  June at 12:00 Noon on the corner of
Green and Sixth Steets
later that night at  6PM there will be a vigil on the quad for the end of a
racial stereotype for a smbol.
On Wednesday there will be buses leaving to offer suport for the cause at
the Board of Trustees meeting in Chicago. Check with Sara Bokhari for ride
times.

Community Forum with the Police

6:30-8:30PM on Wednesday the 17h of June in the Champaign City Council bldg.
Express your views about justice in the community with local law enforcment
officers.

UC Progressive Picnic July 3rd at 3:00 at Crystal Lake Park. Bring some food
because its a potluck meal. Darrin Drda will play some accoustic music.

Feel free to email to the lists to make corrections.