[Peace] AWARE minutes

Al Kagan akagan at uiuc.edu
Sun Mar 7 22:24:23 CST 2004

AWARE Minutes
March 7, 2004

News of the Week.  See Carl's notes, forthcoming.

Green Party Update - Ken
The Illinois Green Party Convention gave 41% of the vote to David
Cobb for President and he will get 9 of 22 delegates. Several other
candidates also got delegates.  Scott Summers will be the Senate
candidate. There are also 4 candidates for the State Senate and there
are several other candidates for various offices.

Kucinich  Update
Linda and Sara will be Illinois delegates if he gets enough votes in
the primary.

Working Groups
- WEFT Underwriting - Randall.  We agreed to keep on for another 6
months for a cost of $208.  Randall will revise the announcement to
include our full name and make it shorter.
- WILL Underwriting - Lisa.  The working group will make a proposal
for continuing.
- Treasurer's Report - Linda.  We have $2283.76.
- PfP - Ricky. We had 20 people and 1 reporter on Saturday. There
were signs on Haiti. 100 flyers were distributed for the March 20th
event.  The next demonstration will be April 3rd.  The meeting with
the lawyer to talk about the police situation has not yet happened.
- Anti-Chief Events - Linda.  There will be a rally at 8 PM on the
quad on Wednesday night. The Board of Trustees meets on Thursday
morning at 8:30 AM in the Illini Union. Volunteers are needed to give
hospitality to the native American folks coming from Chicago.
Contact Carol Spindel, cspindel at express.cites.uiuc.edu, phone: (217)
333-8351.
- Citizens Police Review Board and Tasers - The group advocating for
a Board will meet  on March 9th at the IDF, 2nd floor.  Chuck D is
coming on April 7th to Foelinger Auditorium, and co-sponsorship is
requested. There will be a community forum a week later.  There will
be a community meeting on tasers on March 15th, 6PM at the Mt. Olive
Baptist Church.  The Champaign City Council study session will be
March 23rd, 7 PM.
- March 20th Event - Carol. "The World Still Says No to War."  This
is a worldwide day of action. We begin with a 3 PM event at the
Urbana Middle School (1201 S. Vine) with music, poetry, and featured
speaker, Mohammad al-Heeti. Then we have a peace walk to the
Champaign County Courthouse. Then 4 PM rally with Danielle Chynoweth
and Imani Bazelle.
- Literature -Ken.  Please send articles on Haiti to Ken.  He will
compile and make a pamphlet.

Past Events
- Non-violence workshop - Gabe.  There will be a follow-up. Contact
Sharon Dorsey.
- Amnesty conference - Al and Sara.  There were about 75 undergrads.
Scope was wide, including economic and social rights.  There was also
discussion on US foreign policy, which is beyond usual human rights
agenda. AWARE had a good presence. There is a possibility of starting
a working group to boycott World Bank bonds at the University and
Urbana City Council.
- Constructing Race Conference.

Upcoming Events
- International Women's Day  -- Lisa.  It is tomorrow.
- Anti-Chief events. See above.
- Vigil for Peace. March 14, 7 PM, quad.
- Kucinich talk.  March 15th, 8 PM, Illini Union, Rooms A-C.
- Democratic Party Primary.  March 16th
- Veterans and Their Families Speak Out. April 1, Champaign Public
Library, 7 PM.
- Carl's talks on US foreign policy. Channing Murray, 7 PM, April 7, 21, May 5.
- Justice for Palestine events - Sara. The Iron Sheik, Hip hop, April
23. David Rovicks, April 26.
- Liberation Education Conference --  Beth. April 30-May 2.

New Business: Haiti Education Event: The Coup in Haiti.
Next Sunday, March 14,  3 PM at the IMC. Lisa will coordinate.
Various people volunteered to contact possible speakers. We may also
use some of Amy Goodman's  interviews.

--

Al Kagan
Africana Unit, Room 328