[Peace] Tuesday is election day - here's info on voting

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at ojctech.com
Mon Mar 15 04:46:58 CST 2004

This Tuesday is election day.  There are several key votes on the ballot
that need you. Please take time to go VOTE!  Polls are open from 6 am - 7
pm.

You can find your polling place and view your ballot by going to:
http://www.champaigncountyclerk.com/registrationstatus.asp

There is a slate of progressive candidates in contested races.  On
Tuesday, I will be voting for:

BARACK OBAMA for U.S. Senate
DAVID GILL for U.S. House of Representatives
DENNIS KUCINICH for President

Also, I will check "yes" next to the referendum to raise the state income
tax rate for those who make $250,000 to pay for education.

Here's why:

BARACK OBAMA
We have the chance to put Obama - a strong progressive - in a seat once
held by conservative Republican Peter Fitzgerald.  OBAMA IS NECK-IN-NECK
WITH HIS OPPONENTS AND NEEDS YOUR VOTE.

Obama's voting record as an Illinois Senator proves that he firmly
supports:

***sane foreign policy***
Obama has marched and spoke out at anti-war rallies both before and after
the bombing.  He will work to overturn the Patriot Act and restore civil
liberties.

***reproductive freedom***
Obama is strongly endorsed by Planned Parenthood.  You may have received
fliers from this opponents with a rubber duckie picture blasting Obama for
voting "present " on pro-choice legislation.  His votes were part of an
orchestrated strategy with Planned Parenthood to defeat anti-choice
legislation.  Read the Chicago Trib story on this farce:
http://che.ojctech.com/~chyn/public/obama-choice.txt

***universal health care***
Obama is the chief sponsor of the Bernadin Amendment which would guarantee
the right of health care coverage to all Illinois residents. He was the
Chief sponsor of essential health care reform bills calling for an end to
discriminatory pricing and aggressive debt collection practices and for
hospitals to publicly reveal infection rates and nurse-patient ratios. He
expanded KidCare, which brought health care to an additional 20,000
children.

***gay rights***
Obama is the Co-sponsor of Senate bill 101 to prohibit discrimination
based on sexual orientation in employment and housing.

***criminal justice reform***
Obama was the chief sponsor of the ground-breaking law requiring
videotaping of interrogations in murder cases to prevent abuse by police.
He is the Chief legislative architect of the new law requiring that state
and local police officers record the race of stopped motorists in order to
uncover and end racial profiling.

***pro-labor policies***
He is endorsed by SEIU, UNITE, Teamsters National Black Caucus, and the
Illinois Federation of Teachers.

***the environment***
Has a strong renewable energy and conservation record and is endorsed by
the League of Conservation Voters and the Sierra Club.

It would please me greatly if Illinois sent an African-American to an
all-white Senate.

Read more about Obama at: http://www.obamaforillinois.com/

DAVID GILL
Gill is clearly in support of universal health care.  He is a doctor who
got involved in politics over this very issue.  His ideas for National
Health Insurance make sure everyone is covered while out of pocket
expenses are decreased.  He supports a living wage, renewable energy, and
fair trade policies.  He is not afraid to call the the sections of the
Patriot Act that allow the FBI access to your library records and conduct
secret arrests the f-word - "fascist."

Read more: http://www.davidgillforcongress.com/

DENNIS KUCINICH
Given that Kerry already has the votes to be the Democratic nominee, as he
puts his finger to the wind it is important that we send a message to him
that we - progressive voters - are here.  Kucinich has gotten up to 26% of
the votes in state primaries which is turning the heads of centrists such
as Kerry.

Kucinich's ten key issues are:

Universal Health Care
International Cooperation: US out of Iraq, UN in
Jobs and Withdrawal from NAFTA and WTO
Repeal of the "Patriot Act"
Guaranteed Quality Education, Pre-K Through College
Full Social Security Benefits at Age 65
Right-to-Choose, Privacy, and Civil Rights
Balance Between Workers and Corporations
Environmental Renewal and Clean Energy
Restored Rural Communities and Family Farms

Read more:  http://www.kucinich.us/