[Peace] **ACTION ALERT & UPDATE: Driver's License Bill for Illinois Immigrants**

Demian Kogan dakogan at uiuc.edu
Tue Mar 30 07:56:58 CST 2004

**ACTION ALERT & UPDATE: Pass Driver's License Bill for
Illinois Immigrants**

**TAKE ACTION BELOW!**

Hi Friends,

Here is a long overdue update on the work to make it possible
for all Illinois residents to get a Driver's License. Your
support has been wonderful and through our efforts we got
Sen. Rick Winkel as a solid supporter of SB67(Driver's
Licenses for Immigrants).  The senate bill did not pass, but a
similar bill is going to be brought up in the Illinois House
for a vote THIS WED. March, 31!

The future of Driver's Licenses for Illinois immigrants will
be decided on March 31. State Representative Edward Acevedo
will call HB 4003 (Driver's Licenses for Immigrants) for a
vote on Wednesday. If this goes well the Bill will come back
up in the State Senate at a later time. It is important for us
to show a strong presence in the Capitol on Wednesday, and
call our Reps. to support our lawmakers in making the right
votes.

We have heard that anti-immigrant opponents are hitting all
legislators VERY hard with phone calls in their districts. It
is important that between now and Wednesday WE call ALL of
our state representatives and encourage them to Vote YES for
Driver's Licenses for all Illinois residents.

***TAKE ACTION NOW***

Please Call Rep. Naomi Jakobsson in Springfield at:

(217) 558-1009

Please call to tell her: YOU LIVE IN HER DISTRICT, to VOTE
YES on HB4003 and THANK HER FOR HER SUPPORT of DRIVER'S
LICENSES for IMMIGRANTS.

If you are registered in a different area, please call your
representative, tell them you live in their district, and
urge them to SUPPORT HB4003 AND THE RIGHT FOR IMMIGRANTS TO
OBTAIN DRIVER'S LICENSES.

You can search your local house representative at:
http://www.elections.state.il.us/DLS/Pages/DLSAddressCrit.asp

Please email lianalan at uiuc.edu after you call so that we can
keep track of how many calls are made.

The Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights
(ICIRR) along with other organizations will be holding a
legislative action day on the day of the vote Wed March 31 to
help make sure that HB 4003 passes.  It is possible that
some people from Champaign will be going, please email
lianalan at uiuc.edu or call (217) 778-3638 if you are
interested in going from here.

Keep Up the Great Work,
Lian Alan & Demian Kogan
Immigrant Workers Freedom Ride CU

For general information about the Legislative Action Day,
call Mehrdad Azemun at the Illinois Coalition for Immigrant
and Refugee Rights, (312) 332-7360 x14, or email
mazemun at icirr.org

Visit www.icirr.org for more information