[Peace] AWARE Minutes 5/09/04

Gabriel Stanton ggstanto at hotmail.com
Tue May 11 14:15:58 CDT 2004

News of the Week- Carl was not present so we shared what we had picked up in
the news.  Apparently there was another coup attempt to depose the
democratically elected Hugo Chavez in Venezuela. Chavez’s forces captured 70
of the 150 or so men responsible. The latest report is that even more were
captured.They were raiding the armory in order to get weapons. The AUC was
thought to be the faction responsible. Captured men said that they were
forced into carrying out the coup attempt. For more information check
vheadline.com

Someone also mentioned that Donald Rumsfield hinted to even worse human
rights violations against Iraqi P.O.W.s committed by U.S. Troops

Karis Taylor mentioned Samantha Taylor’s book on the civil war in The Sudan
and the continuing violence that is going on there.

WORKING GROUPS

Finances- (Peter)We have about 1500 dollars in our account after paying for
table at the farmer’s market.

Representation-(Lisa) Atty Ellyn Bullock would still like to meet with us
about Pro Bono consulting once she has finished working on her current case.

Prospect4Peace- Protest is still going on the first of every month at the
corner of prospect and marketview. Al suggested that perhaps we could change
the dynamic by approaching street walkers. Westside park was recommended
although there is a lack of heavy foot traffic. Others suggested an area
with more dense foot traffic such as a street corner in downtown Champaign
or campus town in Urbana. Questions of asserting our right to be at these
public places were considered. Police would have to be notified ahead of
time.

WILL - Audio commentary by David Green will be on AM 580 but we aren’t sure
when it will be played.

Peter R.  (Flyer distributed) Balata Refugee Camp art installation -Come see
video, photography and children’s art. Hear stories and interviews about
life under the occupation. TONIGHT Tuesday, MAY 11 from 7-9pm at the
CHANNING MURRAY FOUNDATION (on the corner of Oregon and Matthews Streets in
Urbana.

FUTURE EVENTS/ACTIONS

Democracy NOW on (FSTV) should AWARE raise money($300 initially) so that we
can have Democracy Now! On public access cable TV at 7AM and have access to
other Free Speech TV shows? Randall believes that we can raise the money and
thus allow others to enjoy this service

Wallmart has a commercial underwriting NPR. Is there something AWARE can do
to highlight this

Bob Mchesney will beat the IMC at 218 W. Main St. In Urbana on Sunday May
16th from 3-5 PM in a fundraiser for the Public I. He will speak about the
media and copies of his book will be available for $12. All proceeds go to
support this resource of the Independent Media Center. There is a small fee
to see him speak if you don’t purchase a book.