[Peace] News notes 041127

Joe Futrelle futrelle at shout.net
Tue Nov 30 21:22:13 CST 2004

I just want to add some detail on the energy economy because it's
linked to the U.S. dollar.

At 11:27 AM -0600 11/30/04, C. G. Estabrook wrote:
>[7. US ECONOMY] The dollar continued its precipitate fall against world
>currencies, as inflation rose, and many credit card lenders were doubling
>and tripling their rates. Meanwhile the number of millionaire households
>has increased by a record 2 million over the past year.

Oil has begun to rise again, to around $50/barrel. Natural gas is
still off its recent peak of around $8/MMBTU due to mild weather in
the Northeast.
http://www.wtrg.com/daily/oilandgasspot.html

Saudia Arabia is talking about increasing oil production to try to
outpace demand enough to give it some leverage on prices, which it
and the rest of OPEC have lost recently because demand is rising
faster than analysts had expected. In this case, increasing
production doesn't mean finding more oil or using existing production
facilities more efficiently--neither is really a viable option right
now. It means building new production facilities to drain their
reserves faster.

Oil prices were one of two factors, along with the weak U.S. dollar,
that led  the int'l Organization for Economic Cooperation and
Development to issue a gloomy report on the current and near-term
future of the global economy. The report notes that "future oil
prices will crucially depend on further progress in energy
conservation in emerging economies as well as the United States." By
"emerging economies" they mean China and India, who make up the
lion's share of the current demand surge.
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/30/business/worldbusiness/31cnd-oecd.html

The big economic nightmare for the U.S. would be if the weak dollar
caused the oil markets to shift en masse to the euro. Which is why
all three of those commodities--dollars, euros, and oil, are worth
watching very closely.

--
Joe Futrelle
Person