[Peace] RE:Tribue article on eavesdropping

Kranich, Kimberlie Kranich at WILL.uiuc.edu
Thu Oct 7 09:22:21 CDT 2004

Thanks for passing this on, Rachael. It's always good to see how the
mainstream press handles a story that we as a community have knowledge of
and have been invovled in.

What happened to Patrick and Martell concerns all residents of Illinois.

I also have a critique of the Tribune article:

It TOTALLY ignores the community organizing effort that helped get the
charges dropped.  Typical of the mainstream press, they credit
representatives of institutions of power, the police chief and city manager
in this case, and totally ignore the other part of the equation -- the power
of the people to fight back repression.

Mainstream media are part of the problem.  Our organizing efforts are
constantly ignored, underrepresented and inaccurately reported by the
mainstream press.

But not telling this side of the story, the mainstream press gives an
inaccurate picture of how people can make change happen.

How many people thought, for example, that Brown v. Board involved just Rev.
Brown and his daughter Linda?  Brown v. Board combined 5 cases in four
states and D.C. and more than 200 plaintiffs. Many of the plaintiffs were 15
and 16 year old students who protested such inequities as the lack of indoor
plumbing and long bus rides. The NAACP worked with parents in a coordinated
effort for years. It took the courage of many over many years to overturn
legal segregation in the public schools. The first lawsuit against school
segregation was filed by a Black man in Boston in 1849.

We have more power than we are ever given credit for in mainstream media.
Journalists, in general,  in the mainstream press,  are not community
organizers. They don't have any idea what it's really like to work together
for change. They are wined and dined by corporations and people in positions
of power and that's who they turn to first for story ideas.

We are fortunate to have access to strong alternative media in
Champaign-Urbana.  For example, the UCIMC website is a great place to post
stories that tell the perspective of our organizing efforts.  The
eavesdropping case received 8 or 9 stories on the UCIMC.ORG website and even
more, there's a place for people to post their comments after they read the
article. It's a great forum.

There's a piece of me that feels so validated when the mainstream press
covers an issue I am involved in or that is important to me because they
reach so many more people than the alternative press.  But until the
mainstream press does a better job of covering the story from a noncorporate
world view, I'm so glad we also have our alternative press.

Kimberlie