[Peace] Possible visit by Mazin Qumsiyeh

Morton K.Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Wed Oct 13 15:42:00 CDT 2004

In preparation for a discussion (at our next AWARE meeting) of a
possible visit by Mazin Qumsiyeh, presenting a Palestinian point of
view of current events, I append the following information from the
BoycottIsrael email site:

3) The Wheels of Justice (http://justicewheels.org) is coming to your
town-
you can help and you can take a lead.  Below are some ways to put us to
work
in your community:

- Arrange daytimes (weekdays) speaking events for us at schools (Middle,
high, colleges): tabling and classroom presentations (religion, history,
poli-sci, mideast studies, peace studies, sociology). Contacts on-campus
host, faculty or student group.
- If at a university with a large resident community, evening
presentations
on campus
- “Merchants of death” workshop
an in-depth look at the corporations of war
and occupation
- Weekday evening presentations to communities, rotary clubs,
educational
centers, universities etc.
Weekends are better for afternoon educational events are good for
evening
social/edutainment events, like a musical concert, poetry slam event or
movie showing. At events such as these, the wheels speakers offer spoken
word between performers or lead discussions after a short movie
- Media activism workshop. Dr. Qumsiyeh did several of those at various
localities and it proved of great utility
- Meeting with editorial boards of media outlets (again, this really
puts to
use dr. qumsiyeh's expertise)
- A program/appearance at a local bookstore (see qumsiyeh and stohlman
bios
at the website justicewheels.org)
- Presentations to faith communities, especially if the choir can draw
from
the larger interfaith/faith communities

What we need from our hosts/local coordinators:

- stuff to do (see above)
- a place to park the bus overnight
- if schools are hosting us, please ask for an honorarium but this is
not a
requirement
- a place for 5 people to spend the night (we don't mind floors)
- media outreach and support especially advance and visit interviews
(esp.
radio stations), calling for meeting with editorial boards, etc
- If you cannot host or organize as noted above, please contact the
local
organizers, volunteer to help (spread teh word, raise awareness, write
letters to editor etc).

Direct all inquiries to ceylon at vitw.org

Here is the next leg of the tour:

Tuesday and wednesday, oct 12 & 13: bloomington/normal, il
Thursday and friday, october 14 & 15: chicago, il
Saturday, October 16 day off
Sunday, October 17 & Monday, October 18: Saginaw, MI
Tuesday the 19th – Wednesday Oct 20th: Kalamazoo, MI (maybe cancelled)
Thurs and Fri, Oct 21 and 22: Columbus, OH
Saturday, October 22nd - 26th of October: Cleveland, OH
27th October – 28 October: Wilmington, OH
Friday, October 29 - Tuesday, October 2: Pittsburgh, PA
Wed – Fri, Nov 3 - 5: Frostburg, MD
Sat, Nov 6: drive/York, PA
Sun – Mon, Nov 7-8: York, PA
Tues – Wed, Nov 9 - 10: Lancaster, PA
Thursday – Friday, Nov 11 - 12: Lebanon, PA
Sat, Nov 13: Lancaster/Lebanon/Reading, PA
Sun – Mon, Nov 14 - 15: Reading, PA
Tues – Wed, Nov 16 - 17: Bethlehem and Allentown, PA
Thursday – Saturday, Nov 18 - 20: Philly, PA and nearby
Sunday, November 21 – Tuesday, November 23: Danbury, CT
Wednesday, November 24 - NJ and further south