[Peace] help defeat at-large in Urbana

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at ojctech.com
Fri Oct 15 09:19:25 CDT 2004

Dear friends,

Adding at-large seats is a regressive move that threatens to dilute
minority votes, introduce big money in local politics, and change our form
of government on a whim. (Read more: www.noatlarge.org).

Education is on our side.  The more informed people are, the more they
oppose adding at-large seats.  The election is a mere two weeks from
Tuesday.  We need your help to make sure an informed public shows up to
the polls!

Could you help?

Here are some things we need to win. Please e-mail me with your choices:
chyn at ojctech.com and I will send you a follow-up reminder e-mail.

1. Help talk to voters.

This is a great way to get to know your neighbors.  Training will be
provided.  All canvassing will begin at Ben Grosser's house at 2106 S.
Race St. Which time works best for you?
           a. Sun,  Oct. 17 @ Noon
           b. Sun, Oct 17 @ 4 PM
           c. Sat, Oct 23 @ 2 PM
           d. Sun, Oct 31 @ Noon
           e. Sun, Oct 31 @ 4 PM

2.  Help get out a final mailing.

We need folks to stick address labels and sort the mailing.  Easy, fun
work to do in a group.
      Sunday, Oct. 24 @ Noon
      2106 S. Race St.

3.  Help with financial support.

People have been amazingly generous so far.  We just need help getting
over the finish line with our final mailing.  Could you contribute $10?
25?  50?  100? or more?

If so, either:
	a. make your check out to "Vote No At Large" and mail it to:
	   Vote No At Large, P.O. Box 17111, Urbana, IL 61803
OR
	b. e-mail me a pledge amount and your address and I will send you
	   a self-addressed stamped envelope for your donation.

Please e-mail me at chyn at ojctech,com if you can help, have any questions,
or want a yard sign (please include your address).

** If you haven't already signed our supporters petition, it takes 1
minute to sign it online: http://www.noatlarge.org/cgi-bin/petition.cgi **

thanks!
Danielle

P.S. Don't miss these upcoming events:

  - Friday from 10-11am Esther Patt will be on Focus 580 (WILL
    AM 580) debating the at-large issue with our opponents.  This will
    be a call-in show, so if you can, please call in with a good
    question!

  - Friday at 7:00pm will be a debate in the City Council chambers
    between Esther Patt and Chris Alix (from Plus 2).  The at-large
    debate will start at 7:30, but you'll likely need to be there
    before 7 to get a seat.  This will also be broadcast on UPTV.

  - This election season House Theater will include commentary on the
    at-large issue:
    Friday, Oct. 15 at 8pm, Saturday, Oct. 16 at 5pm and 9pm, Sunday,
    Oct. 17 at   7pm at 122 Franklin St. in Urbana (Franklin just off
    Broadway into Crystal Lake Park). RSVP: enslin at prairienet.org or
    384-0299.

  - Wednesday, 10/27 at 7pm:  Election Forum at Allen Hall.
    Ruth Wyman will represent Vote No; our opponents will be there too.

  - Wednesday, 10/27 from 7-8pm will be a live call-in discussion
    about at-large on WEFT 90.1FM.  Please listen and call in.