[Peace] AWARE minutes for meeting of 10/17/04

Randall Cotton recotton at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 18 22:50:35 CDT 2004

These were posted to peace-discuss originally, but minutes should go to the
peace list. I'm posting the slightly edited version that I put up on our
website. By the way, I recently updated the website with information on
recent and impending AWARE happenings.

AWARE MINUTES, October 17, 2004

Notes by Nicky (slightly edited by Randall)

FINANCES
the budget paper says there are approximately $2645

GET OUT THE VOTE
There are about 2000 flyers left that really ought to be distributed
between now and November 2nd.  We need to work out the where, who, and
how. It will be especially important to distribute them the week or so
before the election. Let's try to go to high traffic areas, gatherings,
farmers market, etc. And whenever we go about it, offer informed answers
to candidate queries. An informal working group formed to coordinate
distribution by hand to individuals.

UNITY MARCH/EAVESDROPPING, ETC
AWARE funds have been used to make some very colorful signs for the Unity
March. Yeah! And any leftover money will be returned. The posters will
be ready for the march on Saturday (23rd) mentioned several more times
in the minutes. The march will be a kid/family type affair complete
with cheerleaders, dancers, free food from Food Not Bombs at West Side
park where the march shall end.  Also a great day to distribute flyers!
Taping of this march will be done by Randall, possibly with others. Also, a
sweet reminder that Sister Carol is a great lady who also makes great pies.
The best, most heartfelt thanks to her will come by the way of showing up
to her sign making events, etc.  (more logistical notes in the UPCOMING
EVENTS section below)

MAZIN QUMSIYEH
This Yale professor with a Palestinian perspective is coming November 10
to Chicago. Original thoughts were to invite him down here in the following
days while he is still in the midwest.  Upon further consideration, this
seems near impossible for AWARE has 2 consecutive events in those days
immediately following (November 13, and November 14).  How next should
AWARE proceed in getting this super-enthusiastic, super-accessible dude to
come down to visit?  It shouldn't be too hard: he has a sort of regional
contact in Chicago with whom we may correspond; he'd really like to come,
and what he asks is enthusiasm alone.  So, some wonder, perhaps it's best
to just wait til later in the year when he can come to make a special
visit just for us.  It was suggested that AWARE contact the University's
Muslim Student Association (person to person) to propose co-sponsorship
of Mr. Qumsiyeh.

MEDIA MINUTE
Jan is absent, but the support is in!  The first five minutes were
fabulous.  Syndication seems to be a touchable realm.  The messages
"came across very well" More specifics to come re: future topics, times,
hangups, etc.

HIJACKING CATASTROPHE
It's a film expose of Neo-Cons that is/will be showing on UPTV ALL
MONTH!!! Thursday nights at 10 pm.  We are still looking for a campus
venue - time is closing in, however.  McKinley seems like an excellent
back up location just in case the University logistics don't pan out.

POSTCARDS FOR PEACE
The publicity poster was called for and arrived, fabulously designed and
executed.  The benefit auction is SUNDAY NOVEMBER 14th, 2-5 PM @ COWBOY
MONKEY much art will be on display leading up to the event. Do stop by.
Assistance in the flyer-distribution department will be needed soon so
we can have a month or so of solid publicity, AND an ad in the PublicI
will more than likely appear in the next issue.

SIGN UP SHEET...
For a picket of the new Sinclair (Kerry smearing, so they say) broadcast
on Channel 15. The picket will be on the 23rd, following the Unity March.
This issue in particular brings up some crucial issues: what exactly does
the boycott boycott?  The advertisers?  The film itself?  The ideas?  Etc.
We must consider, and also remember that emails and phone calls are the
best way to get in touch with broadcasting folks.

TABLING REPORT
short and sweet: nothing to report.

VETERANS DAY EVENTS
Paul Vogel is confirmed as speaker, still working out the slideshow on
Iraq. More lovely flyers are in the works that will need distribution, etc.

UPTV/DEMOCRACY NOW
"no indication the mayor is taking a hardline stance" and a few imminent
meetings will be a good "litmus test" on just where he stands on this
long-brewing issue.  We shall soon see and know a bit more.

PROSPECT FOR PEACE
We'll be having an extra this month!!!  OCTOBER 30 - Come to the NW corner
of Prospect and Marketview in Red Lobster zone to stand, distribute flyers,
etc.  Since Ricky will be away, Bob has volunteered to get in touch with
the Champaign police to notify them of our presence, and also to check
in to see who will be on duty that day.  Hopefully somebody with a cell
phone will be on-site that afternoon.  No objections were made re: request
for a few more funds for a few more nuclear flyers (go see a copy online!)

NEW IDEAS, COMMENTARIES
no new thoughts since last week

EVENTS OF THE PAST WEEK
Dave Lippman was a money-maker.

Monday-PRC held an anti-Columbus Day rally

Wednesday night-a candidate forum was held where John Piland's true colors
were flying!

Friday-Meredith gave a talk at the Y on Guatemala, and will be on WEFT
on Monday at 6.

COMING-UP EVENTS
Tariq Ali, Tariq Ali, Tariq Ali. (events all week long at UIUC)

Bow Hunting in Allerton.  Bow Hunting in Allerton park will no doubt take
place unless prophylactic measures are employed.  Ideas?  Suggestions?
Pink flyers with appropriate numbers/facts/figures were distributed.
Contact SILA (Students for Improving the Lives of Animals) for they will
help you out.

OCTOBER 23rd UNITY MARCH!!!!
Start out at either Scott Park or Douglass Park and finish with FOOD at
West Side park.  Meet at 9am!!!  Cheerleaders!  Dancing!  Many signs!
Good Publicity!

EXTRA PROSPECT FOR PEACE THIS SATURDAY, AND THE USUAL P4P THE FOLLOWING
SATURDAY.