[Peace] give a little time to help get out the vote on campus

Randall Cotton recotton at earthlink.net
Sun Oct 31 23:31:40 CST 2004

I'll be coordinating a get-out-the-vote leafletting effort Monday and
Tuesday on campus and I'm looking for folks to help with this. Please
consider joining me whenever you can spare some time between the hours of
10:30AM to 1:30PM on either Monday or Tuesday (or both) to help out with
this effort. Some folks from AWARE are already set to help out, but I could
use much more assistance.

I will be stationed near the Alma Mater statue (Southeast corner of Green
and Wright St.) - folks can stop by whenever it's convenient, get some
leaflets from me and pass them out wherever they like - the busiest spots
usually seem to be on the quad (and on the four corners of Green and Wright)
especially during the class changeovers (from about quarter till the hour
until 5 past the hour).

I'll be out there rain, wind or shine (and at this point, Monday at least
seems almost certain to be a bit on the rainy side, so be prepared).

The idea is to hand passers-by something to remind them to vote (and,
ideally, at the same time also verbally telling them something like "don't
forget to vote today/tomorrow"). While Illinois may be a "safe" state for
Kerry, there are a number of other important races (and referendums) whose
outcomes are far from assured. Voter turnout within more educated
populations such as on campus at the UofI could make all the difference.

I have a few thousand party-neutral flyers from United for Peace and Justice
that focus on peace and justice issues:

http://www.unitedforpeace.org/downloads/voter_handbill.pdf

and I also have some party-neutral voter information leaflets from the
Champaign County Democrats (containing basic details about how to locate
your polling place, ID that may be required, a number to call for legal
questions regarding voter challenges, pointers to the County Clerk's office,
etc.)

The most important function of all this, though, is just to simply remind
folks that are registered and have considered voting, but for whatever
reason need that little extra nudge =8-) Out of the tens of thousands of
folks passing by in busy intersections and on the quad during the day on
campus, surely there are hundreds that fall into this category and that's
who we need to reach.

Feel free to contact me by e-mail or cell phone (722-8470) for more
information.

Hope you can help...
Thanks