[Peace] Kristina Wong in-residence at Unit One/Allen Hall

Haber, Laura LHaber at admin.housing.uiuc.edu
Thu Sep 9 13:28:32 CDT 2004

please forward:

Kristina Wong will be a Unit One/Allen Hall Guest-in-Residence, Sunday,
September 12 - Friday, September 17. Her Opening Program, "Subversive Art
and Activism: The Art of Kristina Wong" will be Sunday, September 12 at
7:30. A full schedule of her events is below. She will be doing workshops,
performances, discussions every night of her residency. All programs are
open to the public and take place in the South Rec Room of Allen Hall, 1005
W. Gregory, Urbana unless noted otherwise. Call 333-8351 for more
information. (Parking after 5pm is available in the parking garage across
the street)

About Kristina Wong:
Kristina Sheryl Wong is a solo performer, writer, filmmaker, activist,
educator, and actor based in Los Angeles, California. A recipient of the PEN
USA Emerging Voices fellowship, she is published in Yell-Oh Girls: Emerging
Voices Explore Culture, Identity, and Growing Up Asian American and Catching
a Wave Reclaiming Feminism for the 21st Century. She is the writer/performer
of two solo shows, Miss Chinatown 2nd Runner Up and Free? She works as the
Artistic Director of the Asian American Teen Theater Company, creating
educational theater with teens about HIV/AIDS. Her work is characterized as
quirky and subversive social commentary thinly disguised into reality. Her
fake mail order bride site is www.bigbadchinesemama.com
<http://www.bigbadchinesemama.com> and her personal site is
www.kristinawong.com <http://www.kristinawong.com>.

Kristina Wong's Schedule:
Sunday, Sept 12
		7:30pm - Opening Program: Subversive Art and Activism: The
Art of Kristina Wong
		An overview of the work of Guest in Residence, Kristina
Wong. A brief excerpt of "Free?"  will be performed. (Kristina¹s show that
she will perform later in the week at Chicago¹s Single File Festival)

		8:30pm - Discussion What is art for?  What happens when you
start to label things as "art," "activism," "Asian American"?  What is
considered good art?  Whose art?

Monday, Sept 13
		7:00pm - Writing out of your Body and into Paper: A Physical
Writing Workshop
		All levels of writers welcome.  Don't be turned off by the
title.  It's not going to be step aerobics, just a really hands-on
experiential way to get some good writing out.  Unlock visuals, memories,
and your imagination.

		9:00pm - Solo Performance Workshop
		Everyone is welcome to come!  Don't worry!  We won¹t put you
on the spot!
		Using memory, movement, and props, participants will work on
the foundations of a short solo performance piece.  This workshop is focused
primarily on sparking inspiration to keep thinking about solo performance
beyond the workshop.

Tuesday, Sept 14
		7:oopm - Finding Your Language: Playing with Different
Performance Tongues
		You don¹t have to be the best actor, singer, or dancer to
tell an amazing story.  Finding the honest place and dabbling between
different disciplines might be where you find your strongest voice.
Sometimes your award-worthy performance may work best offstage for an
unsuspecting audience.  This workshop is focused on process rather than
product.  We start with some warm-ups, movement and theater games-- the rest
is playing! Be dressed to move!  In a non-judgmental space, participants
will play with movement, text, visuals and working in site-specific contexts
to forge a new performance language all their own.

		9:00pm - Making a viable living as an artist: What they
don't teach you in college.
		The intention of the workshop is the give students
interested in pursuing the arts professionally (theater, dance, music, art,
film, and writing) or working in a creative field, arts/ entertainment
administration a viable map for the first few years out of school. Also
there will be tools to get them thinking of their creative career starting
now, funding, and PR materials. This is a fun workshop that helps you think
about "branding."   It's helpful for even if you don't want to be an artist
when you grow up.

Wednesday, Sept 15
		7:00pm - Masks, Disguises, Personas, and the Performances of
Everyday Life
		Everyone is welcome to come!
		In this workshop we deconstruct the way others see us and
how we see ourselves.  We'll draw ourselves again and again to visualize
ourselves in metaphor.  We'll make giant sculptures, masks, and take turns
performing the real and unreal to empower, recreate, and comment on our own
identities. Learn fun exercises and icebreakers to bring back to your club
or student group.

		9:00pm - The Funniest Revolution Ever
		Come over anytime during this program, have some popcorn,
fruit and chips.  We'll watch clips from Michael Moore's "The Awful Truth"
(his TV show that ran for two seasons), Margaret Cho's last three live
concerts, and Chris Rock's "Never Scared."  It's all pretty funny
revolutionary stuff.  Intelligent conversation about humor in crazy
political times to occur between DVD changing.

Thursday, Sept 16
		8:00pm - Karaoke and Poetry Night Hosted by Lady Wong, Our
Lady of Karaoke. (main lounge)
		Bad Singing, Great Company.  Bring a friend, something to
read between having your ears explode, and of course, your song list.  We
promise a good evening of fun and new friends.  It is also Kristina Wong's
last night in-residence.
		Anyone arriving in costume will win a prize in our costume
contest.

Friday Breakfast
		Kristina will be available at breakfast to say goodbyes,
chit-chat, hug, and eat. (cafeteria)

Laura Haber
Program Coordinator of Unit One
University of Illinois