[Peace] minutes from Sept. 12 meeting

Danielle Schumacher danielle at illinoisnorml.org
Mon Sep 13 13:35:19 CDT 2004

AWARE minutes for September 12, 2004

1. Sister Ammons (CU Citizens for Peace and Justice) and Danielle Schumacher attended this week's meeting to recap the week's local events, update us on Martell Miller, and tell us what we can do to make sure we continue to organize around this and related issues. You can read more about Martell's case at his organization's website: www.veya.org, and in several articles in the News-Gazette including: http://www.news-gazette.com/story.cfm?Number=16723. Hundreds of citizens have come out to support Martell at the press conference and video showings, and we must not let this energy die, because it is inevitable that we will have to rally again to keep police and other discriminatory powers in check in Champaign-Urbana. This Thursday at 6pm at the Douglass Branch Library (5th and Grove), a meeting will be held to plan a massive voting and awareness march on the police department; a campaign to make sure Piland does not take office again; and any other actions we deem necessary. Jan said it is important to write letters to Mr. Boardman to thank him for allowing us to view the documentary at his theater, and Linda volunteered to attend anti-racism events and report back. For more information, email lifestratinst19 at sbcglobal.net.

Danielle also summarized the meeting she held on Thursday at the IDF. Speakers included Martell Miller and Nikki Lamers of VEYA, Sister Ammons, Rachael Dietkus of the YWCA, and Bryan and Dianna Brickner of Illinois NORML. Much of the conversation was about how decriminalizing personal possession of marijuana would help improve the quality of life of African Americans in Champaign-Urbana. Danielle announced her intention to start a group called Champaign-Urbana Harm Reduction, and summarized her report entitled "Race in Illinois." For more information, email danielle at illinoisnorml.org.

2. Sister Ammons and Randall encouraged AWARE members to attend the UPTV Commission meeting this Monday at noon in the Urbana City Building at 400 S. Vine. Citizens attended to demand UPTV show Martell Miller's documentary and also that Democracy Now be shown. Randall also reported that he has a big meeting with WILL representatives this week, so he will have an update next Sunday.

3. Danielle Chynoweth and Bryan Bowersax attended on Sunday to tell us why we should vote against at-large representation, which will be on the ballot in October in the local elections. At-large representation has a long, racist history and we must all tell our neighbors that, if passed, this new form of government could mean the end of Urbana as a progressive community. This Tuesday at 7pm at 2106 S. Race there will be a workshop to train citizens to campaign against this initiative.

4. Al reported that Joe Miller is willing to attend an AWARE meeting to talk about what we can do work against military recruitment, and Nick asked for feedback on his email to Francis Boyle.

5. If you want to help plan a Nov. 11 Veteran's Day event, email carolinskeep at yahoo.com.

6. Lisa reported that she will be bringing a speaker who talks about the connections between anti-war and anti-economic globalization movements.

7. Hijacking Justice will be shown this coming Sunday at 3pm at the IMC.

8. Our mighty tabling crew reported that we need more yard signs.

9. We decided to hold P4P on the last two Saturdays in October.

10. Check out Operation Truth (www.optruth.org), a non-profit bringing you the truth about Iraq from those who served.

Upcoming events:

Sep. 22 "Grassroots Peacemaking in the Conflicts in the Great Lakes Region of Africa." A talk by Malesi Kinaro, a Kenjan Quaker Peace Worker. 7pm at the IDF. Childcare and refreshments provided.

Oct. 2 AWARE Potluck hosted by Jan and Durl Kruse at 2007 S. George Huff, Urbana. 6pm. Everyone is welcome!

Oct. 10 U-C Progressives meeting, 3pm at Crystal Lake Boat House.

Oct. 12 Dave Lippman