[Peace] Tuesday Election Picks!

Kimberlie Kranich kakranich at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 3 21:49:28 CDT 2005

Dear Friends,

The election is Tuesday, April 5th and there are some very important races in Champaign.

Many fewer people vote in municipal elections than in presidential elections, but the stakes are high in local elections and you have more of a say in what effects you if you’ll vote in this local election on Tuesday. Polls are open from 6am until 7pm.

The Big One: City of Champaign Township Supervisor. Linda Abernathy

This is a citywide office.  Candidates are Republican Vicky Jones vs. Democrat Linda Abernathy. My choice:  Linda Abernathy.

The supervisor disperses financial assistance to those in need (homeless, unemployed, ill) and is a board member of the Champaign-Urbana Public Health District. The major difference between Linda and Vicky is attitude and experience.  Linda will treat people who qualify to receive $212 per month in assistance – that’s less than $12 of your tax money per year – with respect and will make sure they receive the help they need.  Linda will support the employees of the public health district and its wonderful programs such as its dental access program for children and home healthcare services for the elderly.  She will work to remove administrators that are antagonistic towards staff and the service mission of Public Health.

Champaign City Council – District 3.  Matt Varble.

This is a nonpartisan race.  Matt Varble is challenging incumbent Vic McIntosh. Mr. McIntosh represents more of the same while Matt is fresh, challenging and inspired.  He’s for smart growth (infrastructure vs. sprawl), more bike paths and sidewalks, smoke free restaurants and parks, and enforcement of our human rights ordinance.

Champaign City Council – District 1.  Gina Jackson.

This is a nonpartisan race.  Gina Jackson is challenging incumbent JW Pirtle.

Gina is bright, service and activist-oriented and is more heavily involved in her district in northeast Champaign.  She serves on the planning commission and will be a strong independent voice who knows how to work well with others.  Gina spoke against dangerous tasers before the police chief withdrew his request for these stun guns for his officers amid community outcry over their safety.  She is for enforcement of our human rights ordinance and monthly town meetings with residents of her district.

Without comment, here are my endorsements for the other races on the ballot:

Parkland Board of Trustees (vote for up to three)

Donna Giertz

Al Weiss

Susan Maurer

Champaign School Board (vote for up to three)

Barry Rowe

Randall Kobel

Park District Board

Rasul Mowatt