[Peace] AWARE Minutes: April 3, 2005

David Green davegreen48 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 5 18:19:01 CDT 2005

AWARE Minutes: April 3, 2005

Facilitator and Timekeeper: Rich Frazin
Minutes: David Green

Corrections, Additions, Exceptions, Ejections welcome

1. News of the Week: Posted by Carl, plus comments
about actions against WalMart and pressure on foreign
students.

2. Introductions: 24 present

3.  New Ideas:

Wheels of Justice: David Green suggested providing a
stipend to someone willing to take on the
responsibility of taking on arrangements for a 4-day
visit (April 27-30). It was suggested that this be
organized by a working group instead, which will
proceed with regular reports.

Senator Durbin will be sponsored by the ACLU at The
Great Impasta on April 17th; requests must be made by
the 11th.

Mort Brussel suggested that AWARE join a national
coalition called U.S Campaign to End the Occupation,
focused on Palestine. They ask for contributions of at
least $100 from member organizations. See
www.endtheoccupation.org. This is a broad coalition
that includes most of the local organizations working
for Palestinian rights, including those that are
predominately Jewish.

Carol Inskeep suggested that we set up a literature
table at the book sale to raise money for prison
libraries, this Saturday at the IDF church parking
lot. Al Kagan volunteered to bring the literature.

Carol Inskeep is working with Prof. Steve Hartnett to
bring Kathy Kelly here in September for a Friday
Forum, etc. Susan Davis, who is on the Friday Forum
Board, will promote this idea as well.

Carol suggested that we co-sponsor a PRC forum on
Veterans Speak Out, with Ray Parrish, Leah Byron, and
Bill Davis, Saturday April 16th at 1. This was
approved by with no objections.

Ricky Baldwin suggested that we submit an ad for the
upcoming Champaign Health Care Consumers dinner in
May. The cost will be $65 or $75, the submission is
due by April 28th. Ricky will take care of this.

Susan Davis and Lisa Chason met with the principal of
Urbana High School and his administrative staff
regarding recruitment and issues of information,
consent, etc. They were told that to allow AWARE to
participate on career days (4 times yearly) as a
counter to recruiters might lead to both KKK
recruiters and a Nazi occupation of America, a bad
combination to say the least. They plan to follow up
with a letter and future contacts, including with the
PTA.

Carol Inskeep has reserved the Urbana Free Library
auditorium for AWARE for May 12, a Thursday evening.
The event is yet to be determined.

Please note that Dr. al-Rawi from Iraq will be
visiting shortly, with an elaborate schedule planned
by friend of AWARE Mohammed al-Heeti. It was agreed to
contribute $100 to support this visit.

Rich Frazin is working on a letter to Roger Ebert
asking for his endorsement of our efforts to inform
attendees of Ebertfest of the case against the
continued occupation of Iraq.

Carol Inskeep reports that it appears that Eyes Wide
Open will not be coming until August.

4. Events of the Past Week:

P4P: 22-23 demonstrators, a good response, and at
least one new face. On April 16th, we will inaugurate
The Main Event in downtown Champaign, Saturday, 2-4,
corner of Main and Neil. We will continue on Prospect
for at least another month or two, even if we should
completely shift to Main.

The County Board has debated the Chief issue.

5. Upcoming Events:

School of the Americas presentation: Sunday, April
10th, 1 p.m., Channing-Murray.

House Theater, 122 W. Franklin, this weekend, Friday
night, Saturday afternoon and night, and Sunday
evening, e-mail Susan Parenti with reservations. Lisa
Chason will be making a surprise appearance.

Tuesday (tonight): Citizens Police Review Board, IDF,
8 p.m.

Eric Anglada (pax48 at excite.com) of Catholic Workers
House will be fliering on April 15th from 1 to 6 at
the Neil Street post office.