[Peace] Don't forget- 2 anti-war events TOMORROW

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 15 15:42:15 CDT 2005

On Saturday April 16, if you're still smarting from
Tax Day and plagued by thoughts of all the good the
government *could* be doing with all that money we
keep forking over versus all the evil they *are*
doing, you have at least TWO big opportunities to
cancel out a share of their nefarious skullduggery...

(1) Veterans speak out about the reality of war and
military life
1-3 pm at the Illinois Disciples Foundation

Featuring:
Bill Davis is a national coordinator of Vietnam
Veterans Against the War (VVAW), an organization
dedicated to fighting for peace, justice, and the
rights of all veterans. He is also a Vietnam vet and
the president of Auto Mechanics Local 701. Meg Miner
is a retired U.S. Air Force vet and a librarian in
central Illinois (and regular protester on North
Prospect). Ray Parrish is a Vietnam-era vet and the
military counselor for VVAW’s Military Counseling
Service, based in Chicago. Leah Byron is tentatively
scheduled to speak and is an Iraq War vet. For more
information about VVAW, please check out their website
at www.vvaw.org.

(2)  AWARE tries out a new venue for regular public
demonstrations against US wars and occupations
2-4 pm
One Main Street
(corner of Neil St.)

AWARE has been "occupying" the sidewalk on North
Prospect, either weekly or monthly, for over three
years, since shortly after Sept. 11, 2001.  (We didn't
know exactly what was coming, but we knew it probably
wouldn't be good.)

We've had great success there, including some huge
demonstrations leading up to the full-scale invasion
of Iraq, sometimes over 350 protesters.  We've handed
out a great volume of very informative and pretty
subversive literature.  And we've met a lot of
wonderful new people, some of whom just stopped by to
chat or hold signs with us and others who joined us
and became part of the planning.

But we have always known that we don't reach everyone
out there.  Some people avoid North Prospect,
particularly on Saturdays, like the plague.  And we
can't really set up information tables and really have
conversations with passersby very easily.  So we're
trying out a new spot in downtown Champaign.  Join us
and see what you think.

Please feel free to bring your own sign or borrow one
of ours.