[Peace] Re:[Mediamatters] Weekly update for 2005-08-07

jencart jencart at mycidco.com
Sat Aug 6 01:23:53 CDT 2005

Folks,

I caught this guy on Democracy Now! (I think) a couple of weeks ago, and he's great.  Brainy, articulate.... fascinating prospective on race, politics, conscience, passive and active resistance, especially as they relate to sports figures such as Muhammed Ali and Jackie Robinson..... The title of the book is a quote from Muhhamed Ali to those
continuing to call him Cassius Clay after his conversion to Islaam (I believe he was pounding someone during a fight @ the time)

I am so glad David Zirin is Sunday's guest, should be a really interesting and unusual show.  Also, thanks for reminding me that I want to read his book!

Jenifer C.
Welcome to another edition of the WILL-AM Media Matters email update!

THIS WEEK'S SHOW
-------------------------------

This week our guest is Dave Zirin. Mr. Zirin's new book, 'What's my   Name, Fool?' traces the history of the links between sports, politics

and resistance. The book, published by Haymarket Books, covers issues

of race, class and gender in American sports. Mr. Zirin is the editor

of the Prince George's Post, for wwhich he writes the weekly column   Edge of Sports ( http://edgeofsports.com ).

UPCOMING GUESTS
-------------------------------

In coming weeks we will feature Mark Crispin Miller, Sam Husseini and

members of the Urbana-Champaign independent Media Center.

LAST WEEK'S GUEST
-------------------------------

Last week we featured excerpts from the conference 'Can freedom of   the press survive media consolidation?' which was held in Urbana in May.

OTHER INFORMATION
--------------------------------

Excerpts from the National Conference on Media Reform, held in St   Louis last May, are currently being broadcast on UPTV Channel 6.   Upcoming times are as follows:

Telecom Act - 8/9 8:00 PM
FCC Past and Present - 8/10 7:00 PM
Media Politics - 8/16 4:00 PM
Advancing Indy Media- 8/17 4:00 PM
Saturday Keynote Pt. 1 & 2 - 8/24 6:00 PM
Winning Franchise Renewal - 8/30 7:00 PM
Closing Plenary - 8/31 7:00 PM

ALL OF OUR PAST SHOWS ARE AVAILABLE ON OUR WEB SITE:

http://www.will.uiuc.edu/am/mediamatters/

NUTS and BOLTS
--------------

andrew at funferal.org

We hope you find the Media Matters Weekly Update to be useful and informative, and we hope you'll encourage
everyone you know with an interest in the media to listen to the show and subscribe to the list. If you have any
questions or suggestions on how to improve what we do with this list, please email producer Andrew Ó Baoill at
andrew at funferal.org

Thanks again for listening!

--
Andrew Ó Baoill