[Peace] 9/11 events

Stephen Hartnett hartnett at uiuc.edu
Fri Aug 12 12:30:30 CDT 2005

Dear Friends:
         I am writing to this list-serve to garner support for a series of
events that will take place around the fourth anniversary of 9/11.

First, on Friday, 9/16, from noon until 1:30, Kathy Kelly of Voices in the
Wilderness will be speaking as part of the YMCA's "Friday Forum"
series.  Kathy's travel expenses will be covered by the YMCA, and I believe
she will stay that night with the Estabrooks, so my chief hope is that you
can all attend this exciting event.

Second, that night, some of us are putting together an evening of
commemoration, remembrance, and critique (any help with a title for this
event is much appreciated).  We will have Kathy Kelly talk about her work
in Iraq, and Carol Inskeep has, I believe, arranged for music by the Prince
Mishkins. We also hope to have a presentation by John Titus, of Families
for Peaceful Tomorrows. John lost his daughter, Alicia, who was working on
board United flight 175 on the morning of September 11th. Since then he has
been speaking across the nation. In fact, he will be attending the
Department of Peace Conference on September 10-12 and is addressing
Congress on the 14th. Folks can see the beautiful Website he set up to
remember his daughter at <http://www.sweetalicia.org>www.sweetalicia.org.
John will fly to Champaign from Detroit--can AWARE help cover the cost of
his flight?

Third, Sharon Ayuda is planning an event for the following morning, 9/17,
organized loosely around the theme of "Faith and Conscience." If anyone
wants to help organize that event, please contact Sharon at
ayuda at prairienet.org.

Thanks so much for any help you can offer for any of these events; in
peace, Stephen.

Stephen Hartnett
Associate Professor of Speech Communication
University of Illinois
702 S. Wright St.
Urbana, Illinois 61801
(217) 333-1593; hartnett at uiuc.edu