[Peace] AWARE Minutes, 12/4, Late edition

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 8 20:09:54 CST 2005

Belated, with apologies:

Addenda, corrections, clarifications, etc. requested

Attaching "Wait a Minute" for suggestions on updating,
revisions, etc.

AWARE Minutes

December 4th, 2005

Facilitator: Karen Medina

Minutes: David Green

1. News of the Week (Carl Estabrook, posted
separately)

2. Report from Jan and Durl Kruse: 2 more weeks at
indoor market will cost $55, will be paid, along with
complaint re exorbitant fee for non-profits (Durl has
written a letter in this regard). Peace Bazaar: $30 of
$96 accrued will be donated to PB, we will get some
back, as we are one of the organizations benefiting
from this successful event.

3. Introductions: 20 present

4. New ideas:

An introduction to Haiti was be scheduled for next
week (12/11), at the beginning of the meeting (5:10).
We look forward to sharing some of Ricky Baldwin’s and
Carl Estabrook’s expertise on this important but
neglected issue.

Reverend Zernial Embogan asked for AWARE announcements
to be made on his 3 radio programs, as well as a
volunteer to address the issues of peace and justice:
Saturday on WEFT at 7 a.m. (Speak Out), Saturday on
WRFU from 4 to 6, Sunday on WRFU from 3 to 5 (Higher
Praise).

Jamie Storm suggested that we follow up on Bushra
al-Heeti’s concern over the plight of women and
children in Iraq expressed at AWARE Presents on
Tuesday by checking out possibility for donating toys,
etc. One possibility might be American Friends Service
Committee—any others????

Regarding the event of Tuesday 11/29 with Bushra,
Mohammed, and Talha—-Rick Esbenshade reported that it
brought his daughter (Uni student Shara’s)
understanding of the situation in Iraq to a different
level.

A campus/student outreach working group was formed by
May Xiong and Karen Medina—we are a registered campus
organization, which can include either/both students
and staff. The spring will provide an opportunity for
more student involvement in antiwar issues, much
needed.

5. WorkingGroups:

Finance: Linda not present

Lincoln Square/Peace Bazaar: Thanks to those who have
already volunteered for tabling this Saturday, 8 to 1.

Main Event: Good turnout of 30 to 40 different folks
over two hour period—covered by a student journalist,
but not Channel 15.

(Literature: request for upgrade, see attachment).
Over 200 fliers handed out in one hour.

AWARE Presents: Will meet after first of year for
planning session.

Church Presence: Last Sunday at (frigid) SW Champaign
First Christian, will continue with discussion with
church staff (perhaps)—-this Sunday at Urbana
Assembly, park at Meadowbrook Park. Times forthcoming.

Urbana City Council Resolution: Had meeting at Storms'
house, planned contact meeting with councilpersons
Smythe and Chynoweth this past Tuesday; planned
outreach to sympathetic organizations for support;
will generate more support when draft of resolution is
available; see website www.citiesforprogress.org for
ideas.

Counter-recruitment: Former AWAREnik Barbara Dyskant
reported on the welcome that her group in Olean, NY
has received by high school administrators
disillusioned with recruiters. Tracy Satterthwaite was
mentioned as a local educator sympathetic to
counter-recruitment.

6. Past Week:

AWARE Presents (discussed above)
Church Presence (discussed above)

7. Upcoming:

Tuesday WEFT Associates Meeting (already successfully
concluded)
Next Wednesday afternoon: Venezuelan official on
campus
Wal-Mart Protest, Jobs with Justice, 12/17, 12-2