[Peace] What should US policy in Iraq be?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Thu Feb 10 09:39:34 CST 2005

There will be a discussion this Sunday, Feb. 13, at 4:30 in the IMC --
before the AWARE meeting -- on what US policy in Iraq should be now. The
goal is (a) to write a statement from AWARE on our view on the war and (b)
to prepare for a public meeting in which that position is presented,
perhaps in debate with defenders of the USG position.

"Staying the course," "Iraqification," and "Out now" are the short-hand
descriptions for, respectively, the administration's policy, a more
limited US role, and withdrawal.  We'll discuss these options along with
how to evaluate the "reverse domino theory" -- the administration's
current story that, having removed an evil dictator, the US is continuing
the war to establish freedom and democracy in Iraq as a compelling example
for other states in the Greater Middle East.

The discussion, like AWARE meetings, is open to anyone who wants to take
part.

	--CGE, for AWARE's Educational Forum Working Group