[Peace] University YMCA update: calling all Student Peace Action members!

danielle at illinoisnorml.org danielle at illinoisnorml.org
Mon Feb 28 17:35:46 CST 2005

To those of you concerned about policies at the University Y concerning
recruitment...

At the last Board meeting, a committee was created to design a policy about
armed forces recruitment on Y property.  The general consensus was that the
Board would like to prevent future recruitment on Y property, but care must be
taken when crafting the policy.  You can email recommendations for the
committee to Jen Walling or Willard Broom (wbroom at uiuc.edu).

Geoff Merritt, chair of the Board, welcomes all suggestions and complaints about
the Y:
geoff at parasol.com
I think it would also be important for concerned community members and students
to approach Steve Shoemaker, the director of the Y, with concerns:
steve at universityymca.org

Board members would like to see the Y more involved in peace work.  If you have
requests for cosponsorship or other invitations and ideas, email Geoff,
becca at universityymca.org, and/or myself.  One Board member suggested inviting
Student Peace Action and other students groups working for peace to be programs
of the Y.  Programs of the Y have many resources available to them that regualar
UIUC RSO's do not, including a copier and fax and several staff advisors.
However, when I approached Kate S., president of Student Peace Action, she said
she had no desire to be a program of the Y.  If there are other members of
Student Peace Action (or other student peace groups) who would like to consider
applying to be a program of the Y, please email me!

Hope that is enough info for now!  Let me know if you have any questions or any
more concerns!

Danielle