[Peace] jail phone issues

Susan Davis sgdavis at uiuc.edu
Tue Jan 25 14:44:15 CST 2005

Sandra,

it's obvious from last night's editorial in the News Gazette that you have
hit a nerve and had a major impact. Foreman is clearly arguing that in this
cold world nobody should have their taxes raised to pay for stiffer
sentences, higher bail, Piland's overcharging, and the general growth of
incarceration. it really has less to do with phones, although a more humane
phone system is surely possible, than with who'll pay for the kind of
society we have. the people who should pay these costs are the families of
the incarcerated.  That's his argument.   in the end, we will have poor
people paying rent on their own jail cells.  How very 18th-century!

you did a great job --

Susan