[Peace] The Fog of War and Inner Voices at Allen Hall

Laura Haber lhaber at uiuc.edu
Thu Mar 3 14:11:18 CST 2005

please forward:

Next week at Allen Hall, we have two great events: The Fog of War and Inner Voices Social Issues Theater. See below.

The Fog of War
The latest film by Errol Morris
Winner of the Academy Award for Best Documentary

Monday March 7
7:00pm
South Rec Room of Allen Hall

It is the story of America as seen through the eyes of the former Secretary of Defense, Robert S. McNamara. One of the most controversial and influential figures in world politics, he takes us on an insider's view of the seminal events of the 20th Century. Why was this past Century the most destructive and deadly in all of human history? Are we doomed to repeat our mistakes? Are we free to make choices, or are we at the mercy of inexorable historical forces and ideologies?

>From the firebombing of 100,000 Japanese civilians in Tokyo in 1945 to the brink of nuclear catastrophe during the Cuban missile crisis to the devastating effects of the Vietnam War, The Fog of War examines the psychology and reasoning of the government decision-makers who send men to war. How were decisions made and for what reason? What can we learn from these historical events?

As American forces occupy Iraq and the possibility of additional military conflict looms large, The Fog of War is essential viewing for anyone who wants to understand how the American government justifies the use of military force. Combining extraordinary archival footage, recreations, newly declassified White House recordings, and an original score by the Oscar nominated composer, Philip Glass, the film is a disquieting and powerful essay on war, rationality, and human nature.

This screening is being done as part of Pol Sci 280 but is open to the public.

INNER VOICES Social Issues Theatre presents:

Apathy, Armor and Accusations

an evening of timely one act plays that offer a look at the effect of the current social climate on our personal lives and, in return, our ability to personally effect the current social climate

A discussion with the audience follows.

Tuesday, March 8th at 8pm
South Rec Room of Allen Hall

INNER VOICES Social Issues Theatre is sponsored by the Counseling Center, McKinley Health Center, and the Department of Theatre at the University of Illinois.

Free and open to the public

Laura Haber
Program Coordinator of Unit One
University of Illinois