[Peace] Liberation Book Drive

Sandra Ahten spiritofsandra at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 8 05:45:25 CST 2005

A book is one of the few possessions that an inmate can call their own in
prison. Books are precious commodities in prison. Please forward this
request to all other eamil lists.

LIBERATION BOOK DRIVE

UC Books to Prisoners is holding a Book Drive. We are accepting donations of
all your used hardback and paperback books. (No magazines).

Books that we collect will be sent directly to prisoners in Illinois or will
be sold at our fundraising Liberation Book Sale in April. Please make your
donation in March.

Books can be dropped off at one of these four locations:

Strawberry Fields, 306 W. Springfield, Urbana
Pages for All Ages, Rte. 45 South, Savoy
WEFT, 218 W. Main, Champaign
Illinois Disciples Foundation, Springfield and Wright, Champaign

For more information or for a pick up of a large donation please contact
Sandra Ahten.
Call  217-367-6345 or click the contact button from her website at
http://www.spiritofsandra.com/

Please forward this message widely.

WHO WE ARE, WHAT WE DO, AND WHY
We are a side group of the Urbana Champaign Indy Media Center’s Radical
Librarians. In an effort to form a network of solidarity and support with
the people in the US prison system we open letters from prisoners, pick out
a couple of books that best meet their requests and send the books to them
with a letter. We do this in part to address the poor selection of books
available in many prison libraries, to let prisoners know they not
forgotten; to remind us that prisoners are part of our community; to
encourage literacy, to share our enthusiasm for literature, because it is
fun, and to educate ourselves and the public about life in prison.
We are looking for a web designer and librarians / library students in
addition to everyday folk who want to be involved. If you would like to
participate come to our pack-a-thons at the Illinois Disciples Foundation.
We are currently meeting every Saturday at 3pm.

COMMONLY REQUESTED SUBJECTS/ BOOKS
Dictionaries (English & Spanish)
GED manuals
Almanacs
Automotive
progressive history (Zinn, etc.)
radical political
Math
Chess
Men’s Health
Meditation
Anarchism
drawing
writing
health
queer books
books by people of color
drug and alcohol recovery
law books
legal issues
criminal law
general education
beginning language books (Spanish, etc.)
starting own business
1 book encyclopedias (no sets)