[Peace] IMC Buys the Post Office Building; Community Media & Arts Center Planned

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at ojctech.com
Fri May 6 17:25:39 CDT 2005

JOIN US TO CELEBRATE MONDAY AT NOON ON THE POST OFFICE STEPS!

------
The downtown Urbana post office building is being transformed into a
community media and arts center, with the post office services remaining
at their current location.  On Cinco de Mayo, the Urbana-Champaign
Independent Media Center (IMC) closed on the purchase of the post office
building as its new home.

The IMC will be holding a press conference on Monday at noon on the steps
of post office building at 202 S. Broadway in Urbana.  The public is
invited.

"After three years of work we crossed the finish line - just in time for
Radio Free Urbana to go on the air," said Mike Lehman who served on the
negotiating team.  WRFU 104.5 FM is scheduled to go on the air in
mid-June.

The new building will also house an all-ages performance venue, artist
studios and gallery, audio and video production facilities, a resource
library, and community meeting space.  The IMC will provide public access
internet stations and free wireless connectivity in and around the
building.  The IMC is currently seeking tenants for its office and studio
spaces.  The IMC will move in around June 1st.  The performance space may
be open as early as this September.

The building boasts 30,000 square feet with a large 6,000 square foot
space behind the post office lobby.  "We invite the community to bring
your vision, effort, and support to this new community owned and operated
space," said Danielle Chynoweth who was the chief negotiator for the
purchase.  "We will be holding open visioning sessions later this year to
engage the community in plans for renovations."

The IMC will be listing this 91 year-old building on the Illinois Historic
register.  "This building is in great shape.  We care about historic
preservation and want the community to be able to enjoy this building for
decades to come" said Chynoweth.

The IMC has raised $75,000 so far in private donations to purchase a
building.  "It's amazing.  The community came forward to support us even
before we found a building" said Sascha Meinrath, who heads the capital
campaign.  "Now that we have a beautiful downtown location, finishing our
initial campaign should be easy." The community media and arts center
received no funds from the city and is 100% privately supported.

The Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center is a grassroots, 501(c)(3),
non-profit organization committed to using media production and
distribution as tools for promoting social and economic justice. The
UC-IMC is the fiscal sponsor of the global Indymedia network of over 150
independent media centers across 6 continents. Independent Media Centers
empower people to "become the media" by providing democratic access to new
technologies and information. IMC reporters are everyday citizens,
covering the stories and events that matter to them.