[Peace] Bill Taylor

jencart jencart at mycidco.com
Fri May 20 23:15:54 CDT 2005

Am I too late for the prothesis naming contest?  My best effort requires that Bill name his right hand, Haymaker, and his protheses, Left Hook.  My other thought was Manuel.

Bill is incredible..  Thanks so much to whoever organized the Fundraiser.  It was great.

Jenifer C.
All,
You're invited to an evening of good music and friendship at a fundraiser to benefit Bill Taylor tonight from 7:30pm-10:30pm at the Channing Murrary Foundation in Urbana. Bill lost his hand in a carpentry accident several weeks ago. He hopes to be fitted with a prothesis in a few weeks. He is one of the founders of community radio station, WEFT, 90.1 FM and director of several progressive radio projects and the Kalyx Center.  Cajun band the Noisy Gators, the Boneyard Jazz Quintet, and others will perform. Food and drink provided. Sliding scale donation of $8-$20 requested per person.
And, with Bill's permission, there will be a contest to name is prothesis. Bill says "it's gonna be black with either chrome or some artsy purple/orange lightning bolts, with stainless hook. And, yeah, about any name would be better than 'prosthesis'." Funds raised will go directly to help defray Bill's medical expenses, including a $12,000 helicopter ride from Urbana to Indianapolis and a $10,000 prothesis, and towards his progressive work in the community.
Bill's many projects include: KALYX CENTER Housed in a converted 1875 horse barn and farm house, the Kalyx Center provides a safe retreat space for community events such as retreats, campouts, concerts, exhibits and family gatherings in a wooded setting next to Allerton Park. P
RIMARY COMMUNICATIONS PROJECT We work in solidarity with indigenous, union and other progressive movements in the developing world, mostly Central America. We're currently working with CONPAH, a confederation of indigenous peoples' organizations in Honduras to build medium power community radio stations to aid in organizing, educating and basic communications. We get donations of equipment from folks and companies in the U.S., prefabricate radio stations, deliver them, and train people to use them. I LLINOIS SHORTWAVE PROJECT While relatively unknown in the U.S., shortwave radio is the most universally owned communications medium in the world, with 660,000,000 receivers worldwide. Currently, U.S. shortwave is dominated by right wing kooks and propaganda. We're working to build a high power listener sponsored shortwave station near C-U which will be able to bring progressive programming to all areas of the U.S., and at the same time show the outside
world that there are many people here who have a world view which differs with that of our government
For more information about these projects, call Bill Taylor at (217) 762-9561 or email btaylor at prairienet.org
Please join Bill and others for an evening of fun on Friday, May 20 from 7:30pm-10:30pm at the Channing Murray Foundation, 1209 W. Oregon St. in Urbana. WEFT is a co-sponsor of this event.
Thanks, Kimberlie Kranich

Peace at lists.chambana.net