[Peace] AWARE Minutes: May 22, 2005

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Mon May 23 18:47:11 CDT 2005

AWARE Minutes: May 22, 2005

Facilitator: Al Kagan
Timekeeper: Lisa Chason
Minutes: David Green

1. News of the Week – Carl Estabrook: In spite of
Bush's slipping approval ratings, especially regarding
the conduct of the war, 57% of Americans still have
confidence in his ability to protect us from
terrorism.

2. Introductions: 17 people, including Gordon from
Decatur, who related his experiences in the Marine
Corps and his decision to work to oppose war and
recruitment.

Bill Taylor Benefit: Lois Steinberg thanked the
community for donating $11,000 for Bill’s medical
expenses and media projects.

3. New Ideas:

Randall Cotton is organizing an effort to put
Democracy Now! on our local PBS television station,
WILL. He will begin by presenting the idea to them.
Randall has sent out an e-mail to request a working
group on this issue. If you have not received that
e-mail and wish to get involved, please contact
Randall at randallcotton at earthlink.net.
Randall will be collecting signatures at Farmers
Market, Taste of Champaign, and elsewhere.. The
feelings is that there may be some receptivity on a
local level, and that the case can be made that it’s
showing would attract a different source of funding
during pledge drives. Randall feels that the case
cannot necessarily be made in terms of rights, as it
was at UPTV.

Randall has also worked with the Media Education
Foundation to receive broadcast rights to any of their
videos for 5 years—but they still have to be
purchased. If you have any recommendations, or perhaps
wish to purchase a copy to play on UPTV, see
http://www.mediaed.org/. DVDs generally cost about
$30.

Jan Kruse is selling copies of Kathy Kelly’s new book
for $10, $5 to AWARE.

4. Working Groups:

The IMC will be moving to Elm & Broadway this
Saturday, May 28th, at 10 a.m. Help needed. We will
meet there next Sunday. Lisa Chason volunteered to
make sure we have a key to get in. Over the next few
months, we will decide to stay at new IMC, or perhaps
hold meetings in the Urbana Free Library, although the
library is closed during our meeting time.

Farmers Market: Special space for folks to write
postcards to legislators; literature on Africa
requested; new edition of Addicted to War will be on
sale next week.

Main Event: Turnout of 25, positive response, over 200
pamphlets and leaflets distributed. Dan McCollum,
former mayor of Champaign, was present. Next ME, June
4th.

Counter-recruitment: Meeting planned for Wednesday,
June 1st, Noon, Meadowbrook Park, shelter near herb
garden on Race St. Lisa Chason says about 12 have
signed up for list. Ken Urban and Gina Cassidy from
Parkland will participate.

July 4th Parade: Durl Kruse will begin process of
considering ideas for float: Theme: Caring for our
Community.

Finances: $2,348.

5. Events of Past Week:

It’s been a quiet week in Lake Champaign.

5. Upcoming Events:

Next Saturday, May 28th, 10-11 on WEFT, Carl Estabrook
will interview Mohammed al-Heeti, regarding his recent
trip to Iraq.

June 4th, Saturday, 6 p.m.: Pot luck dinner at Kruses,
2007 George Huff Drive, in honor of Bob Wahlfeldt’s
80th birthday.

June 15th: ACLU’s Ed Yonka, 7 p.m., Urbana Free
Library.