[Peace] Urbana City Council resoultion

Gary Storm gary_jamie at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 18 22:00:00 CST 2005

At the AWARE Presents meeting last Wednesday night, the suggestion was made that we (AWARE) approach the Urbana City Council about adopting a resolution on the Iraq war.  Let me propose language for such a resolution that we might discuss as an item of new business at Sunday's meeting. I am not sure whether I can paste the resolution in this email format, so if I am unsuccessful, I will simply bring it to the meeting.

AWARE Resolution to be Submitted for Adoption by the Urbana City Council

WHEREAS this City Council passed a resolution opposing war in Iraq prior to the American invasion;

WHEREAS the American government mislead American citizens and the world at large with false and distorted intelligence on the existence of weapons of mass destruction, connections between Al Qaeda and  the Saddam Hussein regime, and levels of support among the Iraqi people for an American invasion to overthrow Hussein;

WHEREAS the American invasion and occupation of Iraq have killed and maimed thousands of innocent Iraqi citizens as well as American, Iraqi, and other coalition troops, and have destroyed, without reconstruction, extensive infrastructure (power, water and sewer systems) upon which daily life in Iraq depends;

WHEREAS the American occupation of Iraq has failed to establish basic civil order and security for the citizens of Iraq;

WHEREAS the American invasion and occupation have increased rather than decreased the level of resistance to American and coalition forces by national insurgents and foreign terrorists and created a situation in which it is almost impossible to distinguish members of these groups from innocent Iraqi citizens who, as a result, are being killed and maimed in escalating numbers;

WHEREAS many families living in Urbana have relatives, friends and/or colleagues in Iraq who are being subjected to the above conditions daily, whether as Iraqi citizens, members of the American military, business people contracting to provide needed goods and services, or volunteers seeking to provide humane relief;

BE IT RESOLVED THAT American and coalition troops be removed from Iraq immediately, turning over responsibility for maintaining civil order and security to the Iraqi people through their elected government and to United Nations or other peacekeeping forces with which the government of Iraq is able negotiate support;

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED THAT during this period, the American government  provide extensive financial aid to support this peacekeeping effort and to pay for the reconstruction of Iraq's infrastructure as rapidly as possible .

Please feel free to comment on the advisability of taking such action and to recommend language alterations prior to Sunday's meeting. Thanks.