[Peace] Church Presence

Durl Kruse jandurl at insightbb.com
Tue Nov 22 13:11:59 CST 2005

"Stand for Peace"

"Church Presence" outside local churches during the Season of Peace on
Earth!

A working group of AWARE members has been carefully and thoughtfully
planning how to engage area churches in a dialogue regarding the war
and occupation of Iraq. We have decided one such way is to hold a
"Presence", not a "protest", outside local churches on the Sundays
between Thanksgiving and Christmas. The first planned "Presence" is
this coming Sunday, November 27th and then the following three Sundays
of December 4, 11, and 18. A possible Christmas Eve Presence is also
being discussed. During this "Season of Peace" you are invited to join
and stand with others in a respectful presence outside designated area
churches. The "Presence" will be held between the church's two Sunday
morning services. If you are interested in participating or need more
information contact either by phone 328-2789 or e-mail
jandurl at insightbb.com  We hope you will consider joining us.

Purpose:
Some area churches have declined to speak about the current war, the
permitting of torture and the occupation of Iraq by the US military.
Our purpose is to encourage congregation members to engage in a
discussion among themselves or with members of those outside the church
regarding the morality of this war and toll being taken on ordinary
Iraqi citizens, US soldiers, military families and our nation's
economy.

Plan:
AWARE Working group will stand outside designated churches in the C-U
Community on the identified Sundays during the "Season of Peace on
Earth" holding signs, sharing information and expressing a call for
discussion and engagement. Our call will be to members of churches to
address and acknowledge a moral component that we as US citizens share
when our complicit agreement is given through our taxes and voting. We
call for a need to question a perceived desire not to engage by some in
the religious community. We also call for dialogue with those who
support our government's policy; a policy many currently argue is
bringing death, destruction, and instability to our world. We desire to
give space for discussion especially to the voices of the minority
inside churches who may want to speak for peace but may be fearful of
doing so.

Procedure:
Make contact by phone or e-mail and find out when, where, and how to
help and then participate. Join with others as we stand for peace and
begin the process of dialogue with local community churches. It is our
intent to engage with and challenge church communities in this
important moral discussion.