[Peace] Janie Paul - Art, Activism and the Prison Industrial Complex

Laura Haber lhaber at uiuc.edu
Thu Oct 27 14:23:49 CDT 2005

Two events by Janie Paul, Assistant Professor and Director of Community Relations at the University of Michigan School of Art and Design:

"Art, Activism, and the Fight Against the Prison Industrial Complex,"
A talk by Janie Paul
Monday, November 7
7:00pm
South Rec Room of Allen Hall
1005 W. Gregory, Urbana

Janie Paul is Assistant Professor and Director of Community Relations at the University of Michigan School of Art and Design. For the past ten years she has co-curated an annual exhibit of art made by prisoners in Michigan; working in conjunction with the Prison Creative Arts Project, she has taught in prisons across the state. She is one of the founders of Detroit Connections, a project bringing art and art education to inner-city public schools, where young people learn to make community-based art while building political consciousness. In addition to these projects, Paul is a renowned artist who has shown her work in solo and group exhibits across the nation.

"Belief, Wonder, and the Open Secrets of Nature"
Art Show by Janie Paul
Opening with remarks by the artist
Tuesday, November 8
7:00-9:00pm
Illinois Program for Research in the Humanities
805 W. Pennsylvania

Merging her acclaimed "River" series, a collection of silicone intaglio prints meditating on Henry David Thoreau's A Week on the Concord and Merrimack Rivers, and recent oil paintings, charcoal sketches, and multi-media works contemplating the aesthetics of wonder, Janie Paul's "Belief, Wonder, and the Open Secrets of Nature" asks viewers to think about the histories of the nature, our means of representing our interactions with natures, and the ways we use different conceptions of nature to construct beliefs that justify our daily existence. Unabashedly gorgeous, deeply historical, and slyly political, these works invite readers to wade into some of the most pressing issues of postmodernist art production while also revelling in the sheer beauty of works that recall the splendor of the luminists.

Janie Paul's visit is being co-sponsored by Unit One/Allen Hall, the Illinois Program for Research in the Humanities, the Center on Democracy in a Multiracial Society, and the Department of Speech Communications.

Laura Haber

Program Coordinator of Unit One

University of Illinois

68 Allen Hall (MC 050)