[Peace] Re: Fwd: Unity March II

cuapavery at juno.com cuapavery at juno.com
Mon Sep 26 16:48:05 CDT 2005

Greetings All!

I think the purpose and the mission of the Unity March is very important for a variety reasons. 1) it demonstrates unity on important issues among the interested groups 2) it demonstrates concern for our communities 3) it builds coalitions ) 4) it provides an areana for networking 5) it provides greater opportunity for political empowerment and changes in public policies.

There are examples of how groups can effect change in public policy. Good examples are:  Living Wage Campaign
               Inmate Phone System
               Hold on spending Diversity Study funding

Just to name a few. I think these were major policy changes for the County, but these changes were not done without the help of dedicated/talented, well informed individuals such as yourselves.   Policy changes happened but many times they don't happen without a fight.  A fight that is well organized with people that are well informed. Some of the issues (if not most) centered around the Unity march has a lot to do with policy set by the County board.  On Wednesday, September 28th at 6:00 p.m. Democratic Headquarter 44 E. Washington St, in Champaign, there will be a meeting of the Central Committee, at that meeting the current County Board Chair (Wysocki) and Vice-Chair (Beckett) plan to make a pitch for support for their re-elections -term ending 11/06.  The Wysocki & Beckett administration has been oposed to or have been obstructionist to a lot of efforts that many of the groups represented here care about. For example: 1)Derailed representation of minorities/board members on the Jail Expansion committee, 2) advocated against the new inmate phone contract 3)derailed the disparity study 4)voted against independent election commission.  I believe we can't afford 2 more years of their leadership.  I would invite you all to come to the Dem's Headquarters on September 28th at 6:00p.m. and show your Unity.  Here is where it begins.  Thanks.

Patricia