[Peace] Palestine Awareness Week: Forward from Arab Students Association

carol inskeep carolinskeep at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 9 21:48:34 CDT 2006

I'm forwarding this message from the Arab Students Assocation,

hoping you might be able to attend, make a donation or

help spread the word. See schedule of events at the bottom.

Thanks so much,  Carol

  The Arab Students Assocation of UIUC is proud to present its Palestinian Awareness Week, scheduled to commence on April 17th and continuing till the 21st. The purpose of this week is to promote awareness of the political situation present in the Palestinian/Israeli region and to inform UIUC students, staff, and community members of the atrocities befalling people in Palestine every day.

  We are reaching out our hand to you to ask for your help and support. Countless innocent people are hurt, killed, and ravaged physically and emotionally each and every day in Palestine and it is up to us, as citizens of this world, to extend our helping hand when so many others have turned a blind eye.

  The Palestine Awareness Week will feature a series of lectures, panels, and films, informing people of the Palestinian struggle, as well as a cultural night with Palestinian food, music, and dances at the closing. We ask you sincerely to give whatever you can to our cause. Whether you would like to donate much needed funds to this project, or simply lend your support by co-sponsoring, we would deeply appreciate your help. Please, please, rise to the call of these innocent, suffering people. It is only through the cooperation and collaboration of all willing people and organizations that any progress can be made towards social justice.Thank you tenfold, in advance, The Arab Students Association

Monday, April 17  7pm / 223 Gregory Hall  Resisting the New Apartheid:  Divestment and Solidarity with Rayyad Sbaihat (lead organizer with the Palestine Solidarity Movement and its divestment campaign) and Martha Reese (Committee for a Just Peace in Israel and Palestine and Congressional District Coordinator of US Campaign to End the Israeli Occupation)

Tuesday, April 18  7pm / 223 Gregory Hall  From Ethnic Cleansing to Equal Rights:  On Conflict Resolution with Jamal Nassar (Chair and Professor in the Department of Political Science at Illinois State University)

Wednesday, April 19 7pm / 223 Gregory Hall  "Peace, Propoganda, and the Promised Land" Film screening and discussion with Ken Cuno (UI Middle Eastern History Dept and director of South Asian and Middle Eastern Studies) and Ray Hanania (Chicago based Arab American journalist and comedian).

This critically acclaimed video exposes how the foreign policy interests of American political elites work in combination with Israeli public relations strategies to exercise a powerful influence over news reporting about the Middle East conflict. Combining American and British TV news clips with observations of analysts, journalists and political activists, Peace, Propaganda & the Promised Land provides an historical overview, a striking media comparison, and an examination of factors that have distorted U.S. media coverage and, in turn, American public opinion.

"[PPPL] should be required viewing for every citizen in the United States."
Robert McChesney /  University of Illinois

Thursday, April 20th  6:30pm / 223 Gregory Hall  Israel and South Africa:  The Apartheid Connection with Francis Boyle (UIUC Law Professor and scholar in international law and human rights)

Friday, April 21  7pm / McKinley Foundation  Cultural Night:  Dabke Performance and Musical  Performance   Dancing, Music, food and more... and it's all FREE