[Peace] Fwd: [UFPJ] Open Letter to the People of the Middle East

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Aug 10 21:15:03 CDT 2006

I think at best it's a bit vague.  It's seems outrageously
mearsheimer-and-waltish to address "the People of Lebanon, of Palestine,
and of Iraq" to boast of Americans who are "working night and day to ...
reverse complicity in Israel's war [sic]."  The letter is also
sentimental and not very well written (e.g., "than us" is ungrammatical
in American English).  The reference to our "vow[ing] to do all we can
to bring an end to the US role in this violence" makes that "role" sound
almost incidental.

We should be addressing the USG and our fellow citizens, who are
responsible for "this [unspecified] horror."  But I suppose endorsing
this letter won't do any positive harm.  --CGE