[Peace] Jail Issues Study Session - Thursday Champaign County Board

Kimberlie Kranich kakranich at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 17 10:21:12 CST 2006

  All,

  The Champaign County Board and the public will have the opportunity on Thursday the 19th to hear from "The Jail Issues Committee" that has been "analyzing the current issues and concerns regarding the Champaign County Correctional Center/Satellite Jail Facility and making recommendations to the Champaign County Board."  The Committee is headed by Judge Difanis.

  The report will be presented to the Board and to the public this Thursday at 7pm at the Brookens Institute in Urbana. This is the third of three reports to the Board after rumors that county administrators and judicial officials wanted to expand the current jail capacity.

  I will be covering this meeting for the IMC website.

  A full agenda complete with attachments on the background of the situation through the eyes of those who run it is available at the following url:

  http://www.co.champaign.il.us/agendas#board

  Kimberlie

  p.s.  The following is an email sent by County Board Chair Barbara Wysocki on 11/20/05.  There may have been others since this email. If so, I am not aware of them. Note that the date listed in her email has been changed to the 19th.

  2) The Difanis Committee met this past week to consider the information
  obtained on the visit to Will County. The consensus seems to be that
  Champaign County should seriously consider the continuous jury system which
  will, in effect, move cases through the court system without sacrificing
  proper time for preparation, motions, etc. Judge Difanis and other court
  personnel will be coming to our third study session, now scheduled for
  January 17th, to talk about this process and what advantages a continuous
  jury system holds for us. He would like to begin implementation around June
  which means the judiciary will also have to figure out how much this will
  cost.
  In the meantime, the population numbers at the jail are hovering around 230
  (which is low) with about 45 on CHIPS. In your next mailing, you will
  receive a report from the grand jury which visited our two jail facilities
  and provided an assessment to the judge. I saw no great surprises in their
  findings.