[Peace] minutes of yesterday's July 2, 2006 AWARE meeting

Randall Cotton recotton at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 3 17:25:20 CDT 2006

REMINDER: There is a meeting of AWARE Presents *tonight* 7:30PM at 2003 George
Huff Drive.

minutes of yesterday's July 2, 2006 AWARE meeting:

Attendance: 20-25

Carl Estabrook provided his usual review of the week's news, already posted
separately.

New ideas:
-----------

David K.'s idea of starting an AWARE-affiliated student group was revisited.
Recently, we've come across several potential interested students at our events
such as the monthly One Main demonstration and Taste of Champaign, some
particularly interested in counter-recruitment.

The point was raised that if we're going to move forward, a working group needs
to be formed and a meeting held.

It might be difficult to engage students during the summer, but we are coming
across multiple potential contacts.

We had a counter-recruitment working group in the past, but it's a bit out of
steam at the moment.

The suggestion was made for counter-recruitment meeting soon.

Ricky expressed interest in contacting the interested students we've come across
to propose a future meeting, perhaps in August, and maybe find some momentum on
this idea.

Mention was made of another AWARE member's (Jan) interest in counter-recruiting
at Parkland.

Some confusion as to whether the interest of these folks is counter-recruiting
or more broad-ranging.

A related new idea: an AWARE-sponsored anti-war music/festival event for
students in the future.

Another related new idea (brought forth at the end of the meeting) - offering
prizes for high school artwork, music or
essays - as an assignment - as an avenue for awareness and dialogue in the high
schools.

Another new idea: Annette reminds us that a professor that was here from Eastern
Illinois University - Ken Culton - wanted a speaker to come to his class that
he's teaching here in Champaign this summer. The contact with him was around two
weeks ago at Farmer's Market. Randall and Linda volunteer to go (Ricky too, if
he's free), Annette volunteers to make contact.

New idea: Ricky volunteers to contact Arab Student Association President
regarding the proposed cooperation on an October 28th demonstration against
occupation. The associated International Answer call to action that perhaps
inspired ASA's proposal is at:

http://answer.pephost.org/site/News2?abbr=ANS_&page=NewsArticle&id=7836

Their proposal, as sent to aware at anti-war.net follows: