[Peace] (belated) Minutes of AWARE meeting 7-23-06

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 31 14:15:14 CDT 2006

Sorry, folks!  I honestly thought I had sent this out
Friday!  Oops!  -Ricky

AWARE Meeting Minutes
7-23-06

[Please see the end for agenda items for the next
meeting (*).  Please correct any mistakes if you can.]

Carl provided the News of the Week, focussed on the
recent bombings in Lebanon and related skullduggery in
the US.

AWARE gave its support to upcoming Hiroshima-Nagasaki
remembrance at 3pm Sunday August 6.  These include a
film at Channing-Murray followed by a vigil.

Lori and Faiza from the campus-based Coalition Against
Coke Contracts (CACC) gave a presentation on the
group’s objectives and strategy.  Coke has an
exclusive contract with UIUC, which expires in June
2007, but it will be reviewd this fall.  CACC opposes
this renewal and plans a rally in early September, for
which they would like AWARE support – primarily in the
form of help turning people out.  General approval.
CACC will keep us informed.

Discussion of a possible counter-recruitment
opportunity revealed that for about $250 AWARE can be
among sponsors with logos displayed at Urbana High
School sports events.  People seemed to like the idea.
 We’ll discuss it next week. (*)

Finance report.  Sorry, I didn’t write down the
details.

Discussion of student contacts/student chapter of
AWARE.  May wants to help push this effort ASAP.  Quad
Day and other opportunities are coming up, and we do
have a few contacts, which we should gather together.
AWARE will give a presentation Tuesday to a class in
the School of Social Work.

The billboard effort is not looking up, we learned.
Folks generally felt is might be time to look for
other avenues.  Stuart discovered that for about $200
AWARE can have 75 signs (if we make them) inside local
busses for a month!  General approval of this idea, to
be discussed again next week.  Stuart will look into
answering a few questions folks had, including what
month would be available (we want October, before the
Nov. vote) and whether we could get signs outside the
busses and for how much.  (*)

One Main protest next Saturday Aug. 5, 2-4pm.  Theme
will be protesting US backing of Israeli attacks on
Lebanon civilians and infrastructure.

AWARE Presents: August 10 at 7pm, Kim Able will speak
at the Urbana Free Library on her experiences working
as a nurse with soldiers returning from Iraq and their
stories.

Anti-racism: Saturday night’s vigil marking the five
recent deaths in the county jail in the last two years
was well attended.  Patrick Thompson was convicted
recently, but is appealing based on failures in his
defense.  A new lawyer is in the works, but money is
needed.  Randall can take donations.

Jobs With Justice has been meeting and has approved
by-laws.  As expected, dues are $50 for community
groups (e.g. AWARE).  Discussion of JWJ’s current
focus: rally August 22 in support of campus unions.
(*)

Events of last week:

Tuesday, Habari Connection  held a good program on
helping black youth.

Lebanese Student Association taking donations for
refugees.

Upcoming events:

6-7pm Monday on WEFT Carl will present an extended
version of this week’s news.

7pm Monday night the Urbana City Council holds a
public hearing on civilian oversight of law
enforcement.  Support needed.

***ACTION ITEMS FOR THIS WEEK’S AGENDA:

*Approval of Urbana High School sports advertizing
*Approval of bus advertizing
*Approval of dues to Jobs With Justice