[Peace] ACTION ALERT: Nat. Call-In Campaign Against Torture!

Jen Tayabji tayabji at shout.net
Thu Jun 22 16:29:54 CDT 2006

:::::ACTION ALERT:::::

The Illinois Disciples Foundation encourages YOU to take action against
the use of torture on Friday, June 23rd!

The IDF is a cosponsor of the International Torture Awareness Month (June
06), being organized by Torture Abolition and Survivor's Support Coalition
International (TASSC; http://www.tassc.org).

More than ever before, we need your help and participation. There must be
zero tolerance for torture, yet more than 150 nations are now engaged in
this barbaric practice. The fact that the United States government now
openly authorizes torture has created a global human rights crisis of
frightening dimensions.

On June 23, 2006 we will be carrying out a national telephone campaign.
Please join us! We are asking each and every one of you to make personal
calls to your Members of Congress that day. We ask that you organize as
many of your friends as possible to call as well. We must all speak out
together in one strong voice against torture.

Our goal is to have calls flooding in to Congress from all 50 states! We
thank you in advance for your hard work and compassion.

The Congressional Switchboard telephone number is (202) 224-3121. They can
connect you to any office on the Hill. If you are from Champaign-Urbana
(15th district), your senators are Barack Obama and Dick Durbin. Your
representative is Timothy Johnson. If you live elsewhere, you can find
your congresspeople at http://www.congress.org.

Talking Points For June 23rd Call-In Day:

1. June 26th is the United Nations International Day in Support of Torture
Victims and Survivors. We are calling to express our grave concern for the
growing human rights crisis.

2. More than 150 countries in the world now practice torture, despite the
international ban on this cruel and inhuman practice.

3. The United States now openly practices torture with regards to its "War
on Terror" detainees. This gives a green light to other nations to torture
with impunity.

4. Torture is illegal under international law as well as the US
constitution and laws. As Patrick Henry once said, if we allow such
barbaric practices here, "We are lost and undone."

5. There can be zero tolerance for torture. It is illegal and immoral.

6. Torture does not strengthen security, nor does it provide truth under
interrogation. Instead, torture leads to further violence by sowing the
seeds of trauma and hatred around the world.

7. We ask for:

* An immediate Congressional investigation of the torture currently
carried out by the United States, and the appointment of a Special
Prosecutor,

* Full disclose of all secret prisons,

* An immediate end to the practice of rendition,

* Each Senator/Representative to support full funding for the Torture
Victims Relief Reauthorization Act of 2005 (PL 109-165).

--
Illinois Disciples Foundation (IDF)
610 E. Springfield Ave.
(217) 352-8721 | idf at prairienet.org