[Peace] Immigration Law

Karen Medina kmedina at uiuc.edu
Fri Mar 17 10:23:48 CST 2006

A few of you may know that I have a deep concern for the
treatment of migrant workers. The immigration laws are an
important topic being discussed in Congress right now. I
encourage you to learn about the issues involved, and if you
are so moved, to support the Secure America and Orderly
Immigration Act sponsored by Senator John McCain and Senator
Ted Kennedy.

-karen medina

>Where Things Stand on Immigration
>
>As the immigration debate continues to heat up, there is a
great need for those of us who are in favor of wise and
compassionate immigration reform to speak out and speak
often. I have been told that those advocating for ideas such
as criminalizing immigrants and those who serve them,
deportation, and building walls and fences are making
hundreds of calls to Senate offices almost daily. It is time
for those of us who favor compassion in our immigration
policies to be heard!

>This week the Senate Judiciary Committee is putting together
a bill on immigration that will be put to the floor of the
Senate later this month. The real fear is that this bill will
be enforcement-only rather than comprehensive in nature.

>The values that are fighting for to be included in this
final bill consist of:

>	Providing a path to citizenship for undocumented
workers, allowing immigrants who want to work an opportunity
to contribute to our society and provide for their families
>	Ending the marginalization and criminalization of the
undocumented so that those who have been "living in the
shadows" can live openly in our society
>	Reuniting families who have been separated through
immigration
>	Protecting the rights of workers from exploitation
>	Ensuring smart law enforcement at the borders to cut
down on illegal smuggling and the exploitation of those who
wish to cross.

Several immigration reform coalitions are focusing phone
calls to Senator Specter (R-PA), who as the Chairman of the
Senate Judiciary Committee, has a great deal of influence in
the final status of the bill which will be offered to the
Senate. Making these phone calls to your Senators and to
Senator Specter is of greatest importance right now.

>Because this is such a complex issue, feel free to utilize
the script below, in part or full.

>	Hi, my name is [YOUR NAME], and I am calling from
[TOWN] about immigration legislation that is being considered
by the Senate
>	I am calling today to ask that [NAME OF YOUR SENATOR]
supports immigration reform that is comprehensive.
>	Enforcement-only will not solve our immigration
problems.
>	Comprehensive legislation must include a path to
citizenship for the undocumented, protection of undocumented
workers' rights, and reuniting families separated through
immigration.
>	I believe that the Secure America and Orderly
Immigration Act, sponsored by Senator John McCain and Senator
Ted Kennedy, is the best solution to fix our broken
immigration system.
>	I will be watching the Senator's position and vote on
this bill.
>	Thank you.

This was put out by: