[Peace] AWARE Agenda, March 26,2006

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 26 09:46:58 CST 2006

1. News of the Week (10 minutes)

2. Introductions (5 minutes)

3. New Ideas: (15 minutes)

Progressive Quad Day, April 18th???

N.O.W. Co-sponsorship???

Religious Voices Against War???

4. Working Groups: (30 minutes)

Finances

MAIN Event

Church Presence

Champaign (sic) City Council Resolution

Counter-recruitment

Racism Working Group

WEFT Group

5. Last Week's Events (15 minutes for 5 and 6)

Courtwatch demonstration

6. Upcoming Events

Professor Francis A. Boyle
"The National Case to Impeach President George Bush,
Jr."

Tuesday, March 28 at 7pm
213 Gregory Hall**
On the U of I Quad

__________________________

SOCIAL JUSTICE FORUM
Channing-Murray Foundation
1209 W. Oregon, U.

Wednesday, March 29th - 7 p.m.
Our March forum will feature Prof. Robert McKim of
the U of I Religious Studies Faculty.

The Religions: Can they all get along? - Prof. Robert
McKim, head of Religous Studies Program at UIUC. A
discussion of ways of thinking about other religions
that every religion can profitably engage in and that
would reduce conflict and promote peace-making.

>  Topics to be mentioned: ways of being inclusive
towards others and their religious views, where this
includes being open to the possibility that we might
learn something significant from them. Seeing all of>
human religious experience as a rich resource in which
it is good to have a healthy curiosity, as distinct
from seeing others and their views as  threatening.
And more of the same.  I may not have much explicit
reflection about the direct payoff for peacemaking of
such constructive attitudes, but there are not too
many dots to connect.
______________________

Quilt Auction to Raise Funds for Project Lakota

On April 2 following Meeting for Worship at
Urbana-Champaign Friends Meetinghouse, Ellen
Baranowski and Bobbi Trist will speak about their
experiences working with Project Lakota on the Pine
Ridge Reservation in South Dakota. After the
presentation, a traditional star quilt made by Lakota
women will be offered through a silent auction to
raise funds for Project Lakota.

The public is invited to attend the presentation as
well as Meeting for Worship, which is from 11 AM-noon.
The meetinghouse is located at 1904 E. Main, Urbana.
A potluck dinner  will follow the talk and quilt
auction.

Project Lakota works to improve housing and living
conditions of the Lakota people. Project Lakota
sponsors a work camp each summer.  Volunteers help
Lakota families build new houses and repair existing
homes. The project works with three organizations on
the reservation, including Habitat for Humanity  and
two local Indian groups.

Providing adequate housing is one of the most pressing
needs on the Pine Ridge reservation.  Project Lakota
helps families improve their housing conditions and
brings hope to the people of the reservation. Project
Lakota is under the care of the Saint Louis Friends
(Quaker) Meeting.

For more information, contact Charlotte Green,
chgreen at yahoo.com.

_______________________

PLEASE DISTRIBUTE WIDELY!!!

Students For A Democratic Society
Panel & Discussion
Tuesday, March 28th, 7pm, Allen Hall, UIUC Campus

"What Will A 21st Century Student Movement Look Like?"

The panel would be structured around:
1) What the student movement looked like in the 20th
century, in the 60s (featuring "old" and new SDS
activists from Urbana-Champaign!)

2) What students are doing on and off campus today,
announcements, and what SDS plans to do

3) Open discussion about ideas and issues to tackle to
make a 21st century student movement

___________________________

As public access users, UPTV needs your support and
attendance at the
> upcoming Champaign City Council meeting. Help us
show how important
> public access is to the community by attending!
>
> The Champaign-Urbana Cable Television and
Telecommunications
> Commission will be making a presentation on the
future of public
> access television and franchise renewal at the March
28th at the
> Champaign City Council meeting, 102 North Neil
Street, at 7:00pm.

> Please attend to show your support for public access
or stay informed
> by tuning in to Channel 5 for live coverage of the
meeting.

> Kali A. Boyden
> UPTV, Channel 6
> Outreach Coordinator
> (217) 384-2452
> 400 S. Vine Street
> Urbana, IL 61801
>
> Public Access is the Public's Voice. Make yourself
Heard!

Studies and Research Program:

Race, Roots, and Resistance: March 30-April 1, Illini
Union. See

http://www.aasrp.uiuc.edu/conference/index.html

Most panels at Illini Union

Including: Kathleen Cleaver, Friday, March 31st, 112
Gregory Hall.