[Peace] Minutes of 5/7/06 AWARE meeting

Randall Cotton recotton at earthlink.net
Sat May 13 15:54:44 CDT 2006

Minutes of 5/7/06 AWARE meeting.

Apologies for the lateness of these notes - RC

Attendance: 18

1. News of the week (already posted separately courtesy of Carl)

Wendy mentions the Pfizer scandal of using Trovan on children as guinea pigs in
Nigeria. See:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/06/AR2006050601338.html

Wendy also mentions project to create database of Katrina missing.

2. New Ideas

Billboards:
------------
 Adams Outdoor Advertising (AOA) objected to the word "unjust" in our proposed
billboard wording (as in "End This Unjust War!"). Consulting with legal advice
provided advice that they can indeed make that rejection stick.

AOA provided a design, but we wound up missing the window of opportunity
surrounding the time the Urbana National Guard troops came home. A new idea was
proposed to instead plan a billboard for the August 16th joint Champaign/Urbana
event to welcome the troops home.

It was suggested that without the word "unjust" the billboard can be seen to
echo Bush's position.

A second billboard design idea was put forward, in relation to the November
referendums - work is in progress with AOA.

"Redfish" is another billboard company that could be explored.

With AOA, we get last dibs as opposed to customers who pay full price.
Opportunities for discounted non-profit rate may be sporadic.

The billboard committee plans to meet again and come back with proposals

4th of July float:
----------------
Jen will pay the $25 fee. The application form is in the mail to the Kruses. A
sign-up sheet was passed around to volunteer for tasks.

Farmer's Market start-up:
--------------------------
Farmer's Market signup sheet also passed around for this Saturday

New Public Access Cable TV channel under threat:
Despite two-year community effort to push for much better Public Access
facilities and services in our community and significant progress in bringing
along the Champaign/Urbana Cable TV and Telecom Commission, Urbana Public
Television Commission and the City of Urbana, the Champaign City Staff now
stands in the way, recommending that the City Council not ask Insight to fund
Public Access cable at all in the next franchise contract. Their justification
was insufficient public interest. Strong public showing and speakers from
Champaign are crucial at the May 9th City Council study session meeting (7PM
Champaign City Council Chambers, ground floor, 102 N.Neil St.). [editor's update
5/13/6 - there was a strong showing with over a dozen speakers, including Bob
McChesney, and the City Council rejected the staff's recommendation and instead
voted to pursue a new Public Access Cable TV channel, though tentatively, and
only by a one-vote margin (5 to 3)].

3. Working Group reports:

Finances:
-----------------------
$18 from last meeting
finances are currently under $2000!

Main Event:
-----------------------
Took place yesterday, the 6th as scheduled. Jan posted AWARE Main event to ICPJ.
Local Greens came this time around. Mention was also made of  the ICPJ petition
in support of having Illinois lawmakers push forward federal impeachment
proceedings. 300 flyers distributed at the Main Event.

AWARE presents:
-----------------------
Reminder of Anna Baltzer event  7:00 P.M. Thursday, May 11th Community United
Church of Christ

Church Presence:
-----------------------
Took place this morning (the 7th). 10-12 people in attendance. Signs and
casualty portraits up all along the road. There was lots of traffic. The
pastor's wife apparently called the police on us, complaining about impeding
traffic, though we were not (and the police that arrived and patrolled did not
interfere). A member of the congregation asked for and received
Vineyard-supplied water bottles to hand out to us at the end, saying we had a
"good cause" and that he supported us. Some thanks and other comments praising
our action. One comment saying we're giving Vineyard "a bad name". Future events
will be discussed at the next meeting (to be announced).

Counter-recruitment:
-----------------------
Note for possible future counter-recruitment activity. Recruiters were out in
force at the Don Moyers Boys and Girls Club "Ducks Race" this year.

Anti-Racism:
-----------------------
Patrick Thompson's trial has been postponed, perhaps until July, due to another
"unexpected" murder trial. Demonstration noon tomorrow.

4. Events of the past week:

Christian Voices for Peace: Well done, good turnout.

Urbana resolution update: There is an apparent lack of follow-through in
actually signing and implementing the resolution. Work continues.

5. Future events:

Uni High activism:
An effort to spread awareness of the use of child soldiers in Northern Uganda.
Meeting tonight (May 7th) at 7PM, 212? Greg Hall.
There is a showing planned of a documentary on the subject, "The Invisible
Children" May 17th at the IMC.

The Uni High counter-recruiting video project (including interviews with AWARE
members) as well as sweatshop-related videos are scheduled for showing on the
19th.