[Peace] AWARE Agenda, May 14, 2006

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Sun May 14 19:29:58 CDT 2006

At 03:02 PM 5/14/2006, Brian Dolinar wrote:

>Don't forget...
>
>Community Courty Watch demonstration Wednesday, May 17 at 1 p.m.
>
>Tell the police no more intimidation!
>
>No more illegal search and seizures!
>
>In August 2004, Patrick Thompson and Martell Miller were charged with
>Class X felony eavesdropping. A grassroots movement rallied to put a new
>State's Attorney into office, Julia Reitz, who made this a campaign issue
>and dropped the eavesdropping charges when she entered office.
>
>Yet 3 individuals have come to Community Court Watch with allegations that
>police have threatened them with Class X felony eavesdropping and have
>confiscated their personal property.
>
>This on Julia Reitz's watch.
>
>Police know that the Class X felony eavesdropping charges are bogus.
>These threats are being used to justify illegal search and seizure.
>They are only enforced on those who monitor police behavior.
>
>It has been two years since Urbana citizens were promised a Police Review
>Board.
>Court Watch demands to see the formation of an independent oversight board.
>We are also pursuing a Congressional bill to protect cop watch videotaping
>and recording.
>
>See you Wednesday, BD

You are AWARE, I trust, that Mayor Prussing appointed an official task
force that has been meeting for the past 6 months or so for the purpose of
hammering out a proposal for a Citizen Police Review Board?  Esther Patt is
the chair of the task force.  Ricky Baldwin is another good person to talk
to about it, since he's on the task force and on our Coalition for Citizen
Police Review.

And are you AWARE that Mayor Prussing and several members of the task force
went down to Florida in January or February, I think it was, for the annual
meeting of NACOLE (the National Association for Citizen Oversight of Law
Enforcement, I think the acronym stands for)?

A CPRB is definitely in the planning, at least for Urbana.  It simply
remains for the process to play itself out.  Some of us have been working
on this since the summer of 2001, and some longer than that.  Your support
- the support of the community - is and will be essential.  But Urbana
citizens were never, to my knowledge, "promised" a citizen police review
board.  It involves negotiation among a number of interested parties, which
is ongoing.

John Wason