[Peace] We're Not Gonna Take It - Part 2

Kimberlie Kranich kakranich at yahoo.com
Mon May 22 07:18:39 CDT 2006

  Hi, All.

  Did you know that more than 1,000 people in Champaign County signed a petition in support of an advisory referendum for the November ballot that asks legislators to amend the Illinois Constitution to restrict civil marriage to one man and one woman?

  Illinois law already prohibits same-sex civil marriage but this advisory referendum goes a step further.

  The wording of the amendment is so broad that should it pass and the legislature add this discriminatory language to the IL Constitution, domestic partnerships and dp benefits would become illegal in Illinois.  Such broad based restrictions are already in place in more than a dozen other states.

  Shouldn't simply fairness dictate that gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender families have the rights, protections and responsibilities of civil marriage?

  We're not gonna take it!

  Locally, we are reviewing the signatures of all Champaign County voters who signed the petition to make sure that they did so legally. Those signatures that are invalid will be challenged.  If enough signatures are invalid, the advisory referendum will NOT appear on the November ballot.

  We are part of a statewide effort of concerned citizens who are checking at 300,000 + petition signatures.

  Won't you join us?

  Allie Carter of the IL ACLU will train us in the method of signature challenging.

  When?

  6:30pm, Tuesday, May 23
  Geneva Room of the McKinley Foundation
  Corner of Daniel/5th Streets in Champaign
  Bring a laptop, if you have one
  Pizza and drinks provided

  Come early, too.  The general meeting of Equal Marriage Illinois Champaign County begins at 5:30pm in the same room.  We're a friendly and open group. We have a lot of fun despite the seriousness of our mission.

  For more details, see Philip Reames email below.

  Love,
  Kimberlie, 85% Coaltion