[Peace] Want to be a Prison Inspector?

Sandra Ahten sandra.ahten at gmail.com
Tue May 30 21:32:03 CDT 2006

Volunteers have an opportunity to train to become "inspectors" for the John
Howard Association of Illinois. The John Howard Association provides
critical public oversight of the state's prisons, jails, and juvenile
correctional facilities. Volunteers are trained to "inspect" the prisons
with access to inmates and staff. Schedules are set by JHA. They want you to
be willing to make a visit at least 4 times per year, in order to be
trained. Many prisons are in central and southern Illinois and currently
most of the John Howard Association volunteer base is in Chicago.

I've arranged for this training in Urbana, in order to provide them with
more downstate volunteers and to provide us with an oppotunity to go inside
the walls.

The training will take place Thursday, June 1, from 6-9pm at the IMC in
Urbana. I need three more people to fill this training.

Please feel free to email or call me or you can visit their website if you
want more information
http://www.john-howard.org/index.html.

There is a packet to read before the training. I will make arrangments to
deliver get it to you, as soon as you confirm that you can attend.

If you can not attend this training but want to be on the list to be
notified of future training dates please let me know.

Sandra Ahten
217-367-6345

--
Please note my new email address (sandra.ahten at gmail.com) and add it to your