[Peace] Fwd: to someone who doesn't understand law or has never read the Section 8 contract...

Karen Medina kmedina at uiuc.edu
Fri Oct 13 17:00:06 CDT 2006

>* Section 8 inspections...

In order to participate in Section 8, landlords have to pass inspection. Note that Section 8 has lower standards than the City code. Even so, some landlords would rather not have an inspector check the housing. (Yes, you can read between the lines there.)

Personal experience:
Are there apartments that would not come up to code? You better believe that there are. I helped clean apartments for the students returning from summer break.

Mold everywhere.

Backed up sewage.

Gas stoves with obvious leaks.

Electrical outlets that were fire hazards.

Poor lighting.

There were 1st floor apartments with broken windows and broken frames. I would not let my daughter live where someone could break into the apartment just by pushing on the window. Safety was a real concern, but the cold winter would also come in freely without pushing.

Doors and windows rotted out.

Peeling paint.

-karen medina