[Peace] AWARE Minutes for 8 October 2006

David Harley harleyrd at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 16 23:59:30 CDT 2006

AWARE Minutes for 8 October 2006

The first order of business was Karl’s summary of the weeks news.  The
Foley is a diversion from the serious facing the nation.  The Dow–Jones
Average reached a new high this week, but this is an illusion when
inflation is factored in.  Carl concluded with a lengthy discussion of how
the situation in Afghanistan is degenerating into a major crises.

Old business: There was a discussion of what to do if the administration
moves to attack Iran.  Such a move was described as madness, but a distinct
possibility given the probable result of the coming election.  It was
decided to give the matter further consideration.

Financial Report: The treasurer’s report was read, $75.00 were recived at
the Farmer’s Market.  We still have 55 impeachment signs.  It was decided
to put up any left over signs at the poling places.  It was also suggested
that members who have signs put these up at poling place on election
day.  It was pointed out that at some sites election signs will not be
permitted.

The Unity March was well attended with an estimated 250 marchers.  There
was also a good show at the News Gazette on what turned out to be a busy
day.  At One Main there seemed to be normal traffic even with the football
game.  About 200 flyers were distributed at the events.

There was discussion of plans for the Karen Yarborough events which have
now been cancelled.

Randy Met with the Ammons–it was suggested that a role we could play would
be to communicate with the local white community.

Ricky Baldwin reported that community activist Imani Bazell will hold a
small teach-in on the subject of Champaign Schools' "consent decree" for
local activists.  Please get in touch with Ricky if you are interested.
William A. Meyers will speak on “Felony Reform–The Smart Act,” on October
22, in the Urbana City chambers from 4:30 to 7:00.  This is a plan modeled
on the Cook County program.

Jan and Durl met with the Urbana High School administrators.  There was
some apprehension on the part of the administrators.  There seems to be
some question on the meaning of access, but we will be able to supply flyers.

Please send corrections.
Sorry for the tardiness I have had a few problems.