[Peace] CIMIC: Creation of new email list

Naeem Sheikh nsheikh at uiuc.edu
Wed Oct 18 17:15:40 CDT 2006

CENTRAL ILLINOIS MOSQUE AND ISLAMIC CENTER (CIMIC)

Outreach Committee

Dear Friends-

Greetings!

We have been receiving requests through the Central Illinois Mosque
and Islamic Center (CIMIC) Outreach Committee Booth at the Urbana
Farmers' Market, Mosque Open Houses, and online requests for providing
more specific details about the core Islamic Beliefs.

Since you had signed up to receive CIMIC Event Information, we are
creating a new and different list: Islam-Info-from CIMIC.  However, to
give you a chance to decide about also joining the new list (which may
have approx. 2-3 emails per week at most), please send email if you
wish to subscribe to the new sub-list.

Send email to cimic at prairienet.org put on subject line:
Islam-Info-from CIMIC.  You do not have to do anything, if you decide
not to join -- you will continue to be on our event list.

To help you decide the nature of the mailings on the new sub-list, we
are reproducing a speech below given earlier by our Outreach Coordinator
at the University Laboratory High School on Ramadhan.  A number of
individuals at the dinner had requested that it be circulated.  Future
mailings on the sub-list may include information about the Islamic creed
and practices.

If you have more questions or concerns, please let me know. Also, if
you choose to sign on to the new list and have topics in mind that you
would like to see addressed in future postings, please also let us
know.

With best wishes,

Naeem Sheikh

CIMIC Outreach Committee and IT Committee

dpc at cimic.org

http://www.cimic.org/

ESSENCE OF RAMADHAN

SPEECH AT IFF* IFTAR DINNER

AT UNIVERSITY HIGH SCHOOL

Dr. Irfan S. Ahmad**, isahmad at uiuc.edu

October 4, 2006; Ramadhan 12, 1427AH

<http://www.islamicity.com/MOSQUE/ARABICSCRIPT/AYAT/2/ra101_2-183.ram>

"O you who believe! Fasting is prescribed for you, even as it was
prescribed for those before you that you may ward off
(evil)."(Al-Baqarah,2:183).

It is a unique occasion this year that the Jewish new year Rosh
Hashana and the Muslim fasting of Ramadhan have coincided, both of
them beginning at sundown on Friday Sept. 22, 2006.  In Muslim
calendar the night precedes the day.

Ramadhan and the Jewish month of Tishri have overlapped. This
generally happens after 30 some years, as both use lunar calendars.
Like during Ramadan, Jews fast on Yom Kippur but for a 24-hour period.
Christians also fast, the actual details may differ. The Bible
presents fasting as something that is good, profitable, and expected.
The Book of Acts records believers fasting before they made important
decisions (Acts 13:4; 14:23).

All of this points to the monotheistic nature of Judaism,
Christianity, and Islam, coming from the same source: God Almighty,
Muslims call it Allah.  Hence the verse, fasting was prescribed on
you, as was for those before you.  This unique coincidence does bring
across the point that we can share in religious bonds without having
to share identical faiths. And this thought is articulated in terms of
expression of free will in a Qur'anic verse "There is no compulsion in
religion, Truth manifests itself from falsehood.." (Qur'an 2:256).

The month Ramadhan is the 9th month in the Islamic Calendar, during
which Qur'an was revealed to Prophet (peace be upon him) through
archangel Gabriel (AS). Fasting is incumbent upon all healthy adults,
with some exceptions-such as being sick, pregnant, or traveling, etc.
During the month Muslims greet each other or can be greeted by saying
Ramadhan Kareem or Blessed Ramadhan.

The word Ramadhan is derived from the Arabic root word ramida or
ar-ramad denoting intense scorching heat and dryness of earth.  When
used in the context of Ramadhan fasting, it indicates the heating
sensation in the stomach because of thirst.

Ramadhan is also meant to scorch out sins with good deeds, as the sun
dries or burns the ground.  Scholars have indicated that its name also
signifies that human hearts and souls are more readily amenable to the
admonition and remembrance of God during Ramadhan, as the sand and
stones are receptive to the sun's heat. There is a unique similarity
between the heat and its properties to that of Ramadhan. While the
heat represents the matter that transforms shape and form, and molds
literally an array of matter- from metal and plastics, to plants and
living cells- Ramadhan undoubtedly helps a serious believer remold,
reshape, reform, rejuvenate faith, and helps renew physical and
spiritual disposition and behavior, and makes the person courageous.
Research has also shown that Ramadhan has a positive affect on one's
body, and helps medically, as it cleanse the body of the accumulated
toxins- and for the weight conscience it can help there too, provided
one does not go on a feasting spree at the end of the day. But these
are all secondary benefits.

The real challenge is how Ramadhan transforms our daily life, and how
it improves our behavior.  Fasting is to give up your desires, for
something much more desirable and that is the Pleasure of God.

So, why go hungry, I am well-fed, well-stocked, what is the gain, and
whose gain it is, and why God would care?  What God says in the Qur'an
is that of all the obligations, my servant's fasting is purely for me.
Fasting is something, which only God knows about.

How does it matter to you if I am fasting or not?  If I am unable to
discharge my duties to my family, friends, colleagues, and the society
at large.  That is the challenge, and that is what Muslims strive for
i.e. to be better in conduct.  Yes, one takes a pre-dawn meal, and
does not eat, drink, and controls desires during the day until sunset,
and then breaks fast with a date and water followed by a meal.

But fasting is also meant to help develop an appreciation of what it
is like to be hungry, it helps one connect to the less fortunate, it
also helps manage one's food and carnal desires.

Therefore, at the end of the day, that drink of water or a piece of
date gives one the appreciation of God's bounties, which sometimes we
take for granted and forget that there is a source for all this.
This is the kind of lesson, we need to be teaching our children and
reminding ourselves- that the money, the food, the shelter, the
parents, our children, all are a gift and a trust from God, and the
trust has to be managed appropriately.  We have to talk about what it
means to be a human, while I whet my physical appetite by eating food,
how about nourishment of my soul, it needs support too.  Otherwise a
void remains-which simmers through life.

Fasting helps a person make tangible behavioral changes; as forewarned
in a hadith (sayings of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him): "Whoever
does not give up forged speech and evil actions, Allah (The Most High)
is not in need of his leaving his food and drink (i.e. Allah will not
accept his fasting.)" -Bukhari

During Ramadhan Muslims are more charitable, are also more mindful of
the reason of their creation- and that is to glorify God, and they do
this by engaging in longer prayers, and try to spend time in worship,
reading the Qur'an and seeking the night of power during the last 10
days of Ramadhan.  The month-long fasting is celebrated with the
festival of fast completion known as Eid ul Fitr, this year it is
going to be on Monday Oct. 23, 2006.

Therefore, Ramadhan fasting helps makes the heart become tender, and
one comes out of it better molded, better shaped, more generous and
tolerant, and with superior physical and spiritual disposition.  This
means better human beings, better family, better society, and better
world.  Ramadhan is like a tune up station.  In one of Prophet
Muhammad's sayings, he said that one who has seen Ramadhan and did not
avail, has lost.  As no one knows how long one lives.

***

Meaning of word Ramadhan.  Accessed Online Sept. 24, 2006.
http://www.muhajabah.com/ramadan-faq.htm

Utheimeen, Ash-Sheikh Muhammad bin. Fasting. Translated by Abdullah
Al-Farsi.  J.D. Series on Islam No. 17.  Jeddah D'awah Center, PO Box.
6897, Jeddah 21452.

Iqbal, Navid.  2006.  Jewish, Islamic holidays coincide.  Accessed
Online October 4, 2006.

http://www.dailyrecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060923/COMMUNITI
ES/609230337/1203/NEWS01

Additional Information

What Judaism and Islam have in Common

* Both faiths are strictly monotheistic.

* Each has its own prophets, sharing belief in Abraham, Moses and
others.

* Each has its own strict dietary customs -- kosher in Judaism and
halal in Islam.

* Each has its divine text, the Quran the most important in Islam and
the Old Testament Bible in Judaism.

* Judaism's Talmud and Islam's Hadith carry practical wisdom.

* Religious laws for each faith are called the Sharia by Muslims and
Halakha by Jews.

* Jerusalem, with its political complexity, is sacred to both Jews,
their spiritual homeland, and Muslims, where the prophet Muhammad
ascended to heaven.

*IFF: Intercultural Friendship Foundation, a registered student
organization.

**Dr. Irfan Ahmad is a research scientist.  He is CIMIC Outreach
Coordinator, and former President and member of the Board of Directors
at CIMIC.